Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Aaaaand My Childhood Is Dead.



Bloody hell!

When my brother and I used to watch The Electric Company when we were little kids back in the 70's, we always got a giggle over this truly bizarre skit, which popped up from time to time as a pumper in between longer, more educational segments, and it consisted of nothing more than what you see here; weird speeded up animation and gibberish. And gibberish was all that my brother and I thought it was at the time. We'd laugh and try to imitate it ourselves, and never once did we question its reason for being there. It was just weird and funny, and due to it being the 70's we had no VCR to record the skit, nor futz with it in any way. Why question one weird skit on a show of many? Albeit, this one was weirder than most.

This person on youtube has played the strange segment backwards, and slowed it down. And a few other people seem to confirm that this indeed is what it really says. What, in fact, it had said all along.

And I say, HA HA!!

And then, HOLY SHIZZIT!

No wonder I turned out the way that I did.

Freaky.

(oh yeah, slow down the animation, and you can see a guy giving the finger... among other things, I'm sure!)

2 Comments:

Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

THAT is some freaky stuff! I loved the Electric Company as a kid, although I have to say my favorite was Jennifer of the Jungle and her Gorilla friend Paul mainly because my slightly older sister was named Jennifer and yep...Paul here. Didn't take much to get me to call faves...just name something after me!

Other than Jen and Paul, (and Morgan Freeman in his greatest role ever as The Easy Reader), I LOVED the theme song to the Electric Company. I'll be honest...still do! It's just a straight up badass rockin' tune. In the 90's when there just seemed to be a mass release of compiliation albums trying to make a buck off of pop culture references, it seamed lots of cartoon theme songs and kid shows and Schoolhouse rock got remade and I always thought the theme song to the Electric Company would have been a perfect fit, but I don't think I ever saw a band cover it.

Melissa, with your encyclopedic music knowledge, can you prove me wrong?

"HEY YOU GUYS!
We're gonna turn it on
We're gonna bring you the power
We're gonna light up the dark of night like the
brightest day in a whole new way
We're gonna turn it on
We're gonna bring you the power
It's coming down the lines, strong as they can be through the courtesy of The Electric Company
The Electric Company
The Electric Company!"

ROCK ON!
P.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I remember Jennifer of the Jungle and Paul! That's too funny... aw, and you're such an adorable lil gorilla too! :D

That theme song was outta sight, brother. But I am very partial to the Easy Reader them, as song by Morgan Freeman, baby!

Easy Reader. That’s my name. Uh, uh, uh.
Readin’, readin’. That’s my game. Uh, uh, uh.
Top to bottom, left to right,
That readin’ stuff is out of sight.
Easy Reader. That’s my name. Uh, uh, uh.

I groove on all the words around. Uh, uh, uh.
As long as they are written down. Uh, uh, uh.
Readin’s heavy. Readin’s tough.
He never seems to get enough.
Easy Reader. That’s my name. Uh, uh, uh.

I’m a readin’ man, and it’s words I seek.
Every word I see, I just gotta speak.
He’s a first-class genuine readin’ freak.

Easy Reader, that’s my/his name.
Easy Reader, that’s my/his name.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home