Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Contempt Before Investigation

Whoa, nellie! The Courthouse Cafe in my hometown of Great Bridge got torched last night. I ate there constantly with my family, often ordering take-out whenever I'd breeze into town to visit my folks. And I worked there as the resident dishwasher back in 1990, right when I turned 21 and was on a 100% liquid diet so I never got to eat any of the food they served during that period. But I used to spend my afternoons with my elbows in bleached water, rockin' the lunch rush while "The Humpty Dance" blasted on the little portable radio over my station. I suppose they'll open again, what with the insurance money they're bound to collect. I'm just glad that nobody was hurt. Funny how the Mister Jim's sub shop next door, which has been in Great Bridge probably longer than any other establishment, is still standing.

So we had a customer at work who heard the legendary male Brazilian musician Caetano Veloso do a cover of "Body And Soul" in Sirius Radio and desperately wanted us to order the entire CD for him. This Veloso album, A Foreign Sound, is a collection of covers that contains many lovely old American songbook standards, like Cole Porter and Jerome Kern. A few days later the customer calls back, wanting to cancel his order. Sirius radio just played another track from the same album, Gershwin's "The Man I Love", and the customer told us that the only way he could relate to another man singing about "the man he loves" is if "he were wearing a dress and a wig and lipstick and I was very, very drunk." So apparently he would rather not get that coveted version of "Body And Soul" because it is featured on an album where he also sings about loving another man, even though it's just a cover of another famous song? Christ. This is how I felt back when I worked at Ticketmaster and sold Broadway rubes tickets to Rent, only to have them call back days later wanting to cancel, furious to discover that the play was about "those goddam homosexuals". See what chuckleheads I gotta deal with sometimes?

In other news, congratulations to Ellen DeGenres and Portia De Rossi. Anybody got some pics floating around on Vance in a wedding tux (grrrrrowl!)

2 Comments:

Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

I'm still trying to figure out if you're truly angry or just wanted to write a blog with "Hump" and "Vance" in it! You're not fooling me!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You're already getting to know me so well! :D

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home