Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bún bò Hue Blues

Ran into an old colleague of mine while having lunch with Joe at the local Vietnamese restaurant, someone I hadn't seen since we worked together at the Music Man from 1989 through the beginning of 1991. Both distinctive looking people that we are, we instantly recognized each other and got to reminiscing back to the old store and Joe's old DJing years, all the club-going we used to do in our spry early twenties. I told him that I was friends with our fellow former associate Pam on Myspace, who is still singing up in NYC and working a lot with Lloyd Kaufman appearing in various Troma movies, and he told me that he'd look her up but he doesn't much play with Myspace anymore, saying that he's moved on to Facebook. A sentiment, I've discovered, that most people I've talked to have expressed these days.

Stirring around my soup with my chopsticks I kept wondering if I wanted to jump into the whole Facebook pool, and knowing even while I was contemplating it how much I really didn't wanna "go there", as the kids say these days. I never touched my Friendster profile, even though I still have it, and I barely do anything with my Myspace profile anymore as it is. And Xpeeps soured me from overexposing myself (literally and figuratively) and at this point and time I don't even know if I want to keep this blog anymore. It made me sad, thinking how much Xpeeps probably really was the catalyst for me retreating further and further away from any internet presence, due to the frighteningly suffocating experience that I had over there. Makes me sadder thinking that the only way I could get vaguely noticed in a vast sea of personalities that is the internet was to lift up my shirt. And I'm hardly unique in that aspect, either, considering how many girls lift their shirts on the internet as well. There's a little attention whore in all of us, I suppose.

I think it made me realize more than anything how much I'm drawing away from the web, how little allure it provides, other than the few friends I correspond with. I only visit maybe three websites total when I log in, and when I'm bored, I just refresh those pages over and over like some idiot who hungrily keeps opening her fridge door every few minutes thinking something new and delicious is going to magically materialize inside. Meanwhile I want to draw again. I want to get a bicycle. I want fresh air and exercise and try to teach myself how to skateboard again. I want to be... ten years old again? Fuck... sounds damn good to me right now.



Speaking of Pam, here's a video clip from back when I knew her, around the late 80's with her old band Female Trouble performing somewhere in Virginia Beach, although from the looks of the interior it might have been Rogues (Later called The Beach House, where Va. Beach natives The Clipse filmed their "When The Last Time" video). There's another, more lively clip here from 1987 but the sound is terrible, although considering how old the footage is, not too bad a shape!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are causing me no end of gloom these days. Looks like you're as affected by the winter months just as much as I am.
I will never let you down you know...

El Gee x

5:54 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I know, luv. You have been so massively supportive during all my times of neurosis. Must be those GIANT paws of yours! :D

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home