Sunday, May 31, 2009

British People In Hot Weather

I don't know why but I haven't stopped laughing my ass off at this concert review all night:

The Fall's Mark E Smith sings from wheelchair and dressing room at gig

Recovering singer adopts unusual singing position as he recovers from hip injury

The Fall played London's KOKO last night (April 1), with Mark E Smith performing most of the gig from a wheelchair - before he abandoned the stage altogether and sung from his dressing room.
Currently recovering from a broken hip, the frontman, dressed in a black leather jacket, wheeled himself around the stage to alter settings on the band members' equipment before moving to sit behind a guitar amp for most of the concert.
The last three songs were performed with Smith singing from the dressing room, and changing the lyrics to 'Blindness' to say: "I refused to go onto the stage at one point / You'll get over it in the morning".

Oh, Mark E. Smith.
And you know, coupled with that voice of his, this cartoon (by artist Jeffrey Lewis) is becoming more and more alarmingly prescient over the coming years.
Speaking of cartoons, I'll kiss the first person on the mouth that helps me find this online comic strip about the history of Mark E. Smith and The Fall that I had bookmarked years ago and lost. I'm not sure who wrote and drew it but it might be this cat Jeff Larue, since I think this sketch of Smith in Larue's photobucket file was from the comic that I remember. It was all the usual Mark E. Smith is a snotty bastard stuff and fires his band a lot, but kind of adorable at the same time. Oh, the things I once had bookmarked! I so miss PeoplesForum.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

The first second I saw that photo I thought that WAS Hawking.

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home