Sunday, May 17, 2009

Catch These Men For $800, Alex.

Oohhhhh IwannagettickettotheNewYorkDollsinJuneattheNorva.

That being said (and it needed to be said) I kicked it old school used-style this week at work:


A German import version of Autobahn which I've had on vinyl for ages, and on cassette for even longer. I went through a touch of a Kraftwerk phase in 1987 around senior year of high school that segued into my freshman year of college, when Joe and I picked this up during the summer of 1988 and played the dickens out of the title track (and put it on friends' mix tapes, ptobably just to piss them off). That same summer Joe made this sample-crazy extended-o mix of his own using "Autobahn" as the foundation, throwing in a little Kinks, Sinead O'Connor and The Time for good measure -- all made with two tape decks patched into each other (this was 1988 after all). And we still have that mix! I should post it here someday. It still tickles me to death in 2009.

And I was particularly pleased when this young Richmond punk came into my store two nights ago and sold back the first Lard EP, because like Autobahn, I only have it on vinyl, and the title track "The Power Of Lard" brings back too many fond memories of driving around town with friends singing along loudly about how every time Jello Biafra "takes a crap it's a cosmic experience". Lard of course is Biafra's "supergroup" side project with Ministry's Paul Barker and Al Jourgensen and Nine Inch Nails drummer Jeff Ward, the first disk (above) of which was released in 1989, although I didn't get to actually hear it until about a year later. References to Ed Meese somewhat date the piece, although everything by the Dead Kennedys technically falls under that dilemma anyway. But like the DK's, it still doesn't change the music's energy or potency. And the twelve year old in me thinks it's still a real rip-snorter.
Wanna hear it? Sure you do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

what ... what is on the cover of that second album?

4:33 PM  
Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

I see someone else watches SNL and digs the Jeopardy skit...other fave category from Mr. Connery "The Pen Is Mightier" as only he can say it.

Didn't know NY Dolls were back on tour...my buddy Kevin and I were supposed to see them in December, but it got cancelled, I'll have to see if they're coming round here as Adam Duritz would say

8:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Anita -- this is just a guess, but I think it's a lamprey eel. They ain't the prettiest things in nature, fer sher.

Pab! I just got my ticket today! They just put out a live album about two weeks ago or so but I haven't heard it. A friend of mine just told me that they were coming into town and I had to jump on it. :)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home