Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Can't Get My Dishwasher To Stop Beeping

Wish for cooler weather... get rain. And lots of it. But you won't hear me complaining. Other than not being able to swim today. I've hardly had a chance to use the pool all summer, and since my diet is only about 50% raw vegan these days my exercise quota isn't exactly being met. But it did allow me to leave the house for a jaunt down to my store to pick up a few used items that I had on hold. And I know, I've been trying to cut back, and I have. But well, Samuel Fuller. And an out-of-print Dead Milkmen CD. And and and.... Samuel Fuller?


Have been on a Sam Fuller kick these days, and his 1957 western Forty Guns is one that I have never seen, but have read about just recently about how underrated a classic is really is. And being a Fuller film as well as starring my childhood favorite actress Barbara Stanwyck (I was a huge Big Valley freak as a little kid) there's no way I was passing this up. Just check out badass Barry Sullivan walk straight up and bitch-slap this young upstart with a pistol completely confident and unfazed, and then chucks his limp body into a nearby wheelbarrow and takes off with him. Fuller rules!



And having long debated about it I finally sprang for the Coffin Joe Trilogy box set, consisting of 60's Brazilian horror master José Mojica Marins' surreal threesome At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse, and Awakening Of The Beast, all of which I believe I have seen some fifteen years ago when I lived in Ghent and had access to the local hipster video rental. Each DVD set comes with a nicely drawn B&W comic book written in English and a snazzy black coffin box that initially made people think that I was buying the Misfit box set instead. I'm happy to be revisiting these films again. Plus Steve from Skinnies ragged on me years ago for liking these movies, so naturally I'm going to add them to my collection! ;)



And I caved in on some music as well, especially in light of the fact that I don't buy all that much music anymore. But a used copy of Iggy Pop's 1977 solo debut album The Idiot was going for $2.99, and other than the song "Nightclubbing" I have nothing else from this album. Not counting David Bowie's cover of "China Girl", which is also featured on this disk. Bowie did co-write the song with Ig, as well as produce the entire album, so he's more than entitled.



The recent death of Mink DeVille charismatic lead crooner Willy DeVille provoked me to nab a used copy of the 1981 Coup De Grace, featuring an entirely new band (save for DeVille himself) and produced by Jack Nitzsche, and filled with the sounds of soul, doo-wop, and Cajun influences that have made the band a respectable stand-out in the NYC seventies punk scene, without really ever being a punk band at all. But getting mad play at CBGB's and a lot of love from famed no-wave scenester Lydia Lunch helped get Willy and his poor boys the recognition from the right people that they deserved. RIP Willy.



And I was debating about getting The Dead Milkmen's 1990 release Metaphysical Graffiti because, quite frankly, I didn't even bother to get it back when it came out when I was working at The Music Man and could have gotten it on discount -- because as much as I love the Milkmen, and had been anticipating this release for some time, I didn't really like it very much at all. But my friend just dave bought a copy, which is how I heard what I did from it at the time, and he made me a mix tape of what he thought were the highlights of the album. Particularly the various "untitled" monologues in between song tracks, and since this album is now out of print I had been wildly eager to find that one funny bit about the "Lesbian Eskimo Midget Left-Handed Ninja Albino" that always had us in stitches almost twenty years ago (eghads!). So hell yez it came home with me! Keeping one CD for one or two tracks isn't uncommon in my collection. But times are tight. You soon may get your own opportunity to own this sucker yourselves.



The only video clip I could find of this track is this rather cute interpretation of the bit by a little boy with terrible-bad lipsynching skills. But his attempt is endearing. And I love the little smile of satisfaction on his face at the very end when he announces that he has gas. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home