Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lube The Monkey Yohow

Norfolk's Jerm Flux went through a few various incarnations before the final version, the one that I was most familiar with -- lead guitarist Randy, bassist Sean, drummer Jimmy, and lead screamer Sara -- mostly since I got to know them a little closer even before they came together as the band in the mid-90's after several other

Interview in Bowling Doughnuts

comings and goings from other members, But these swell buncha guys knew how to hang in there, and they did, being one of the more ubiquitous names on local flyers from around that time that I can recall. Not to mention a general liking for each other and friendships that still last to this day. But they were quite the blistering live act, Randy having always been deft with the axe, and Jimmy and Sean's

Jerm Flux at King's Head Inn, mid-90's

thundering rhythm section that often made those in the audience feel as if the ground was about to open up and swallow them whole. Topping that off was Sara's pit-of-Hades death growl, the beast at the bottom of the Hellmouth, the reminds me of the time I was in the parking lot of the King's Head Inn talking to that night's opening band

while they were cooking their dinner of brown rice outside of their tour van while Jerm Flux was inside on stage performing, and when Sara took the mic with her guttural howl the guys in the band cooking their rice nearly fell backwards from where they were squatting, shocked that such a noise could come from such a tiny girl, and even doubted Joe when he explained to them that the voice did come from

a girl. But although I haven't heard from Sean or Jimmy in years, I ran into Sara at Randy and Liz's pre-wedding party at the Colley Cantina and she is happily married and teaching at ODU. And of course I communicate with my dear Randy regularly when he comes to town or if I ever get to make it back to Austin anytime again soon. But as far as memories go of the local music scene from around that
Sara, King's Head Inn, mid-90's

time, few bands spark those little reminders than the scrappy, scruffy punk band Jerm Flux. And I wish I had an MP3 to add here or some kind of video clip, because all I have of theirs is that 7" single in the two photos directly above this photo of Sara. But they also have a track "Song For Sara's Dad" on the 1994 hardcore/grindcore compilation Audio Terrorism that is worth checking out if you can find it. And I hope that you do!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mykel Board said...

I just found this JERM FLUX cassette amont the effluva of my room. Put it right on Gemm. You ever see it before?

http://www.gemm.com/item/JERM--FLUX/HATES--YOU!/GML1445632148/

4:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh wow, that DOES bring back memories! I even had that as a sticker on the front door of my fridge, right next to my giant Artless sticker of the man pulling his guts out. I put it there to keep me away from the food so that I didn't overeat. :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Burning Blade Studio said...

Hey what's up.. If you would like I have most of the tracks as MP'3 that I can send to you..

Sean Conkling

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home