Monday, May 10, 2010

An Angel Gets Its Wings

Two enduring images from my childhood are no more as of today...

Lena Horne performed on many a children's show, often with the Sesame Street or the Muppets, and even though her scene in The Wiz was so hilariously over-the -top that I still have a hard time watching it without laughing my ass off, she was an undeniable talent and civil rights activist. My friend David got to meet her when he was working on a documentary for PBS about her life and said it really was like meeting a goddess.

Frank Frazetta, however, drew goddesses. And gods, and warriors, and dragons, and spaceships, and all the things that preoccupied my thoughts and sketchbooks throughout the 70's and early 80's -- and Frazetta was one of my very first influences. A lovely slideshow tribute here, with one of my favorite pop songs from the 80's in accompaniment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home