Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet

My work days have become a destructive pattern of uppers and downers to get me through the hours. I come home from work achy and sore from running around like a lunatic, not wanting to do anything but mentally clock out and feel the cool mattress under my frame. My legs and feet throb and keep me up, so I take Tylenol PM which puts me out like a coma, and I wake dazed and several precious IQ points shorter than the day before. So I get a big cup of coffee on the way to work which hits me about half an hour later and for the rest of the day I am a jittery spazz, tweaking so hard I am on the verge of collapse by the time I get home, sore and exhausted, and the whole disaster starts all over again. How do I break the cycle? How to I prove to people that I work with that I am not normally this much of a hot mess? Then again who am I kidding, I drink enough coffee at brunch on Sundays to make the brunch group sit one table away from me to avoid the spittle flying from my lips.

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I drink a pot of coffee in the morning to get me through to lunch. Coast until deep afternoon when I have another cup to finish the work day and get a few things done when I'm at home, then crash.

I usually don't have problems going to sleep, but if I do I have a beer or a glass of wine. Booze just knocks me out.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I don't drink, but there are times when I'm starting to think that I should! Wow, and I don't even drink a whole pot of coffee and it still gives me the hyperactive vut-vuts until the late-afternoon crash. I chose to have coffee at 1:30pm today and oddly enough that helped a lot in not making me a jittery wreck in the mornings. Maybe I should try what you do except maybe keep it in the afternoons as much as possible.

9:58 PM  
Blogger James said...

Try half-caff. If you make your own coffee, use half regular grounds and half decaffeinated. A couple companies sell half-caff (or low-caff) already mixed, but I don't remember who does it that way.

If you're creative, you can use that technique to combine different roasts and flavors to get something entirely different. Might be great, might be awful. But it won't be something you can get off the shelf.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home