Friday, July 29, 2005

Lost Dog (Nuthin' But Da Dawg In Me)

Alright, I'm putting this back out there, since where I put it before is defunct.

I am still looking for a particular live Parliament-Funkadelic album that I used to have on vinyl back in the late 80's. It might just be a Parliament album because most of the tracks that I can remember from it were strictly Parliament, as well as the design and overall feel of the record. And here's the thing -- I can't remember what it was called.

I remember some of the beginning track listing. Again, this is live, so it starts off with the usual Parliament theatrics with sound effects and a weird, trippy monologue about the mothership and the pyramids and whatnot. Then it starts out with a simple drum beat, followed by bass line and then funky guitar riff, one after the other. George starts laying down his rap:

"Everybody funkin' and don't know how
You should have seen the bull when he funked the cow
Funked so hard they saw some smoke
'Say let's get in the bed and funk like folks are laughin' atcha..."


Then the next line goes...

"Miss Muffett sat on a tuffett
Snortin' some (PCP? I can't remember)
Along came a spider and slid down beside her
'Said 'What's in the bag, bitch?'"


At this point George yells out "What's happenin', Houston?" to the roaring audience, then launches into the song "Do That Stuff".

Now I do want to point out that I really do not think that this is the soundtrack to Parliament Live In Houston, which I know is a DVD, because the track listing for Live In Houston doesn't follow the one from this record that I can remember. But! Another music geek friend of mine pointed out that perhaps the record that I am looking for is actually a compilation of live material taken from various sources (P-Funk has been known to do that) so that opening before "Do That Stuff" could very well be from Live In Houston. Some of these tracks tend to fade out after each song, so it could be very possible that my record is just a live comp.

After "Do That Stuff" it gets a little hazy. I think I remember "Mothership Connection" coming next, or maybe "Up For The Down Stroke", but as time passes it's getting more difficult to recall. I remember about a minute of "Dr. Funkenstien" was about 5 tracks in or so.

And I remember the cover, too. It had a dog -- like a real dog and not a cartoon "atomic dog" drawing like on George's Computer Games album -- wearing an atomic dog spacesuit type of affair with cape and head gear with antennae, watching George Clinton on a television monitor. The dog's back is to us, and his face is in sort of half profile.

Anyway, that's about all I can remember. If anybody has any 411 then please 911 me here. I'm pretty sure that it never made it to CD so if I can get the LP I'll be just as happy as a clam, I will.

I guess I need to get around to spelling out the whole long "wish list" here again sometime soon. It really has served me well in the past. There are pros to the bloggy thing after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you saw the name of the album would you recognize it? This appears to be a complete listing of all their albums:
http://www.duke.edu/~tmc/motherpage/list-albums.html

9:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Eek! Wow... that sure is a bodacious list. But drats, none of those names seems to jar my memory. I poked around on ebay and gemm.com too and I'm gettin' nuthin'.

It's more the album cover that I remember. And the music, although I may be off a little on the track listing. But I DEFINITELY remember that wacky opening bit.

But thanks for the page! I think I might try and google each album individually and see if it brings anything up.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home