Friday, August 26, 2005

I Smell A Seinfeld Episode

So it appears that we are installing an "Employee Picks" wall in our store as of yesterday (oh nice, just almost over a year since I initially brought up the idea to my boss), and I'm thinking may as well make a sport out of it and try and see what I can sell people -- or rather, what I am capable of selling people. Maybe I can build up some kind of a "rep" with my credible choices, then really throw them off by putting something incredibly ridonkulous under my name with some really pretentious write-up about how "it will chaaaange your life" and see if anybody falls for it. Right now I put up Wanda Jackson's Queen Of Rockabilly, a good and respectable choice first.

Now, we wait.... {{{rubbing hands together}}}

Also picked up some... yes, some actual CDs FOR A CHANGE! All used, natch. I'm still too much in the poor house to shell out for retail.

Something that I've wanted for ages, Ray Charles' Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music...


For years I had only heard his version of Floyd Tillman's "I Love You So Much It Hurts" as well as the magnificent "That Lucky Old Sun" from the Malcolm X soundtrack, so I am right delighted to be pickin' this pup up. Many R&B artists growing up in the south who remember segregation like Ray, James Brown, and Isaac Hayes were raised listening to country/western radio stations (many "colored" stations weren't allowed down there in some places) so these were the songs that often motivated and inspired many soul singers like Ray Charles, and this album is sort of his tribute to the songs of his childhood.

And finally another copy of If I Should Fall From Grace With God by The Pogues...


My friend taped this for me years ago but the tape broke after putting quite a lot of mileage on it and I could never find another copy anywhere, which lead me to believe that it was perhaps out of print. Turns out that it's an import, and boo-yaa... got me an import for $6.99, me hearties. This album brings to mind certain New Years Eve recollections of drunk friends trying to sail a boat on the super-rough waters of the Norfolk harbor to watch the midnight fireworks, and everybody being very wet and cold and seasick and laughing their asses off. This album was playing, and um, let's just say that it made very appropriate background music for the whole drunken sailing experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home