Wednesday, August 24, 2005

You Is Still My Baby Blue Baby

Been quite a few Vancey items up for bid on eBay these days, although I have to say this is one of the most obscure that I have seen so far; an actual set list for the House Of Schock (whom the seller had seen in concert that night, met the band, and had signed by back-up band members Chrissy Shefts and drummer [and close Vance friend] Steven Fischer).


Note how the song "Never Be Enough" was joking written as "Never Be A Muff". A rare glimpse into the buttoned-down mind of Mr. D?

Ever curious about what ever happened to Vance's famous signature baby blue Fender Precision bass from back in his days with The Cold? No, of course you haven't, You Who Have Lives. But *I* have. Behold the magic of gooooogle! New Orleans blues act Boogie Chillun's bassist seems to have acquired it along with the way (with the additional added inline pickup that Vance apparently installed later). Care to compare? Here's a fuzzy snap of a strapping young Vance circa 1980 with his faithful blue baby...


Hmmm... welp, certainly does look like a baby blue bass. Save for the white pick guard on the Boogie Chillun's, I uh, suppose it could be the same one. Aw heck, I'll take their word for it. Why would they lie, right? Anyway, purdy keen! Although I sort of had a head full of all these romantic notions of Vance still cradling his long-time baby blue sweetheart in bed with him every night, clinging to those heavenly memories of the past. Kind of dashes those to bits, I'm sad to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Oh man, I haven't thought about that baby blue bass in a long time.

It seems that Vance took off a white accent on that guitar (or whatever they're called!) because in some old pics on the cold site its there and some its not.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The pick guard? Yeah, I wonder if that was detatchable or something. I don't know enough about guitars to know if that's possible.

Unless... he had TWO baby blue Fenders!

{{{dun-dun-DUUUH!}}}

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home