Sunday, December 25, 2005

A Twinkling In Every Lung...

So what did Santa bring me this year?

Well for one thing, the Dallas Hack. Right ho, it's back. Long-time readers may be somewhat familiar with this semi-annual affliction but now and today is not the time to dwell on Things That Doth Suck. Perhaps more later, when I'm a touch more, er, in touch. I'm presently way too way snockered on Tussin to think in such linear thought patterns at the moment.

Besides the things that are of probably no interest to anyone else but myself, I did get two items plucked off my wish list this year:


Light Is Calling, from the minimalist classical composer Michael Gordon of whom one other album, Weather, I already own. As I loaded this CD into my PC to play a video screen popped up and the music became the background to what appears to be a silent film on old decaying celluloid, apparently also entitled Light Is Calling by Bill Morrison -- and then it clicked: Good heavens... that Michael Gordon! The one who did that utterly haunting soundtrack to Bill Morrison's Decasia, a film in which a very sweet friend videotaped for me about a year or so ago. This appears to be more of the same, unless this is a clip from Decasia that I don't remember seeing, since Decasia is pretty much a series of these decaying old films stitched together like images from someone's very disturbing nightmare (the album cover is a screen capture from the Light Is Calling film from the video on this disk). You were absolutely right, Mr. Miles, remarkable stuff indeed and thank you so much for recommending this to me back when I was going on about my Thomas Adès kick to you awhile ago. Or heck, I'll go thank you again personally over at The Files.


I also received the Criterion DVD to the 1947 film Black Narcissus which was another tremendous recommendation by a friend. Really eager to crack this one open as soon as I have another free moment in my life. Man, the more I look at these two Christmas gifts, the more I just think about it, the more I am of the opinion that one of the things that I am most grateful for this season is just having a whole bunch of marvelously hip friends that always manage to keep me in The Know.

Hope everyone had a happy holiday.

Uh, crawling back to bed now.

{{sniffle cough cough sniffle}}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home