Sunday, January 08, 2006

Can You Hear The American Sound?

How many out there can lay claim to owning a vinyl copy of the Bachelor Party soundtrack personally autographed by Peter Zaremba of The Fleshtones? And who on God's green earth would be fool enough to make such a boast?!! (fool pictured on right).

By the way the signature reads: This movie is very very BAD! BUT I wish we did more! -----> Peter Zaremba and all the Fleshtones ----> 89-90-9-...etc ----> Hamton VA (click pic to make BIG)

The Fleshtones, for those whippersnappers too young to give a shit remember, where sort of this 60's garage rock revivalist band that in a sense became my initial gateway band into the world of more hardcore punk, but none the less dangerous, IMO. I can remember the summer of 1983, the summer that I ironically acquired MTV, and they used to show the video to "American Beat" nearly every hour on the hour. I had these three best friends -- sisters from Boston, MA who would visit their grandma who lived next door to me every summer, and their mother was heavy into the Boston punk scene and they told me that this band played at a party that their mother had taken them to some years ago. So basically every time that song came on all four of us would scream and jump up and bounce up and down on my mother's couch, but only when we'd start doing the "Flintstone Flop" (a dance we picked up on from an episode of The Flintstones where you leap off the couch, do a flip in the air, and land flat on your back) did my own mother insistently intervene. But to this day I just can't hear that song without thinking about the Summer of 1983. And, er, all that potentially serious spinal chord damage that's bound to catch up with me later in life (if it hasn't already).

Oh, and I still have the flyer that I drew for this gig way back when, which I posted on my old blog once, and Maggie was swell enough to spruce it up a bit for me and sharpen the whole image considerably. Always in your debt, Mags!


And here's the temporary 7-day file of The Fleshtones "American Beat 84" from the Bachelor Party soundtrack. I hope folks were able to download yesterday's file okay. I'm still learning how to do things, so please bear with me here. Again, it's an M4a, so let me know if you have any trouble with it.

"American Beat '84" - The Fleshtones


Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melp, you look FANTASTIC!!!

I love that poster you did.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

>.By the way the signature reads: This movie is very very BAD! BUT I wish we did more!<<

Did more of what? Did more of the movie? Did more songs for the album?

I'm going to start calling Hampton, VA Hamton, VA.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you, Maggie!

Oops, I think I was the one who spelled Hampton wrong... not Peter.

Sorry, Mr. Zaremba! Didn't mean to make you look illiterate.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home