Wednesday, January 04, 2006

When My Left Eye Jumps

Having utilizing the last of all my Christmas money/gift cards/whathaveya it was a pleasant surprise to come home from my shopping trip to Borders Books to find my Amazon package of holiday booty waiting for me and it was, like, wow, Christmas all over again and whatnot. So collectively here's what came to me yesterday:


Black One by Sunn 0))). Boy, these guys sure don't sound happy. Two guitarists Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson eviscerate their instruments into stretches of shredded droning noise while not so much singing but croaking out clusters of indecipherable phonics, and the whole experience leaves you with the feeling of falling very slowly into a dark pit where something unspeakably evil lies at the bottom waiting for you. I don't know why but the fact that the booklet's "liner notes" are just 6 pages of blackness where it looks like lyrics should be just cracks me up. Oooo, spooooky!

Life's A Bitch by Roberta Gregory. I actually have almost every single issue of Naughty Bits as well as pretty much all of the softcover collections, yet I still bought this 271-page compilation just for the new never-before published story "Daddy Dearest" concerning Midge's famously irascible father and her "lost" years during the 1980's. Gregory ended the Naughty Bits series this year, so if you haven't had the opportunity to check out this absolutely hilarious and often poignant series now is the time to seek these books out and follow them to their wonderfully rewarding end.

I also snagged two Hayao Miyazaki films...


Porco Rosso, which I watched last night, is about an Italian WWI pilot who is cursed with the face of a pig, although what I found most fascinating about that is the more you go deeper into the story the more I kept wondering if he really was cursed or if the predicament that he experienced during the war left him feeling so guilt-ridden, so inhuman, much like a pig that not only did he begin to see himself that way and live his life that way that everyone around him began to visualize his own inner hatred as well. NausicaƤ Of The Valley Of The Wind is an earlier film by Miyazaki of a war-torn Earth inhabited by giant insects (yeah, it's not gonna be an easy one for me to see) which supposedly incorporates elements that Miyazaki will use in later films like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I may try and watch this one Friday when I get another day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home