Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Collision Girl

Yeah, I make resolutions. I'm one of thooose people. Although unlike those people I am often pretty good at keeping a large percentage of them successfully even all the way to the end of the year, if that is I can still remember what I had initially resolved to do by then. Which is why I write type them down, naturally. I find that seeing them in print lends them a certain sort of indelible potency, a rule carved deep into stone that must be obeyed like the Ten Commandments. Then again who even remembers what those are those anyway. All I remember is something about coveting somebody's ass. Oh dear, I think I may be going to hell. Eh, whatta ya gonna do. So anyway...

The Job Thing. Allocate a generous chunk of my energy this year to getting the promotion that I appear to be getting groomed for over the past few months. The good news is that I have just learned that there is a position opening up very soon, or rather it's pretty much open now and just waiting for the right applicant to step in and take over. The bad news is that it's in the department where I least want to be and where all my natural weaknesses will be called upon to keep the department in service. It also takes me away from the music department which my boss knows is where my real strength lies. But the important thing I need to focus on is working on my abilities to lead others, inspire others, and (gulp) communicate with others. I am getting better at communication, I think. All my FW sales reports have been wonderfully accurate. And Boss Lady really likes my new ideas for boosting sales in all departments. Cripes, I've been here long enough to know all this even at entry level. But if I don't budge soon I gotta bail. I love what I do, but I cannot be taken advantage of for one more year over there.

The Diet Thing. I'm extremely proud of myself for the goals that I've reached just in this year alone considering where I was and how little I have left to achieve. But in the last two months or so I have backslid. Rather recklessly. And of course that kind of thing is expected during the holiday seasons, but it has really, really depressed me deeply. The 20 or so pounds that I've gained has made me feel even more like a monumental failure than the success I've felt over 140 that I've lost in the last 2 1/2 years. As of January 1st I have resolved to maintain my Weight Watchers regiment and eat only 24 points a day every single day without fail, and to have at least one "indulgence day" a week to utilize my flex points if need be. One must have a reward system for these kinds of endeavors, I know, because in the past I haven't been rewarding myself and I think that is the reason why I tumbled off the wagon so completely. One lesson that I have learned more than anything else this past year is that you simply cannot deny yourself pleasure for too long or you're bound to end up in a position where you will wind up doing something dangerously out of control. I know I can do it. It's just... doing it. Right now I gotta tell ya this Tussionex that I'm still taking really takes the edge off the hunger pains (and everything else!) so I've already hit the ground running.

The Mental Block Thing. Draw. Every single day. I don't care what it is. A doodle, I dunno. Draw with your finger in the air like you do sometimes when you're bored at work. I don't care. Just do it. And Don't. Ever. Stop.

The Shit-I-Can't-Believe-I-Missed-X Thing. See more concerts this year. If, and only if, they are within my budget range. I only saw two concerts last year -- Elvis Costello and Fall Out Boy -- and they were both free. Well, one cost me my punk cred as well as a precious sliver of my mortal soul. But maybe I am being a little too hard on Mr. Costello these days.

The Wanderlust Thing. If I can afford it, this year I will either holiday in CA, PA, or FL. One way or another it shall end up becoming the resolution that may be the hardest to achieve in 2006 considering my ongoing financial status. Unless of course I do get that promotion. And a new house. Oh, balls. This one gets to simmer on the back burner for awhile...

The New Obsession Thing. Most folks that know me well know that every few years I find a new thing to obsess over and then ride it hard and furiously, picking it apart until I have absorbed its every aspect. I am currently floating dormantly in Obsession-Free Limbo at the moment and it's pretty dang dull to be sure. I need a new thing. Something musical. Something literary. Something smothered in gravy. I am Melissa of Borg and resistance, ah say, resistance is futile.

The Organization Thing: I WILL find my missing DVD box set of Kieslowski's The Decalogue somewhere in this house!

And Finally... I resolve never to have to listen that godawful "My Humps" song for the rest of my life the year.

Anybody else out there have any resolutions? Maybe if you and I have several matching goals we can buddy up and be an online support group or sumthin'.

Oh wait, quitting support groups is another one of my New Year's resolutions.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been doing some outstanding blogwork lately, and today's post especially kicked ass. You've transformed the blog from expressing the worldview of a quirky human to expressing that of a quirky human. (If that makes sense.) In other words: something a general readership can better relate to -- and that's largely thanks to the fine writing and the witty, charming candor.

Best o' luck with the '06 resolutions.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the duplicate comment under the 12-30 post. Damn Blogger...

11:35 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

>>The Shit-I-Can't-Believe-I-Missed-X Thing.<<

That goes for TV stuff too. I should make that resolution.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Greg, that's one of the nicest compliments that I think I've ever had about my writing, especially coming from someone like you whose writing I've admired so much for so long.

People always ask me if I worry that what I write about is too personal. But I prefer to see it all as universal. There isn't anything that you or I haven't gone through or thought about or experienced that somebody else out there has already done themselves, and I like the fact that maybe I can write about something that others can relate to or connect with in their own lives. I'm so pleased that you get that from whatever I'm writing about on that day.

I hope you had a great New Years. It's always a delight to hear from you!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've embarked on the 0 to 60 in 3 months beginners program from www.thewalkingsite.com and so far I'm loving it. The next challenge is diet, but I haven't put enough thought into attacking that one, yet.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I need to check into that site. I have been walking steadily almost every dau but since I've gained recently I've lost the motivation.

How are you doing so far on it, Erin?

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only done days 1, 2, & 3, tonight's the 4th night, so it's great so far! There is a grid you can print up but that's just for beginners and I know you're in a lot better shape than me. But the website has all kinds of levels on it...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

>>But I prefer to see it all as universal. There isn't anything that you or I haven't gone through or thought about or experienced that somebody else out there has already done themselves, and I like the fact that maybe I can write about something that others can relate to or connect with in their own lives. I'm so pleased that you get that from whatever I'm writing about on that day.
<<

That's how I feel, and that's why I try my best not to be vauge with things if I don't have to.

But this summer on my live journal I had to get some things off my chest about this guy, so I had to make about 5 "locked entries" and thing is I could've cared less if like HE found it and read it, but I was just making sure his girlfriend didn't find it!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That's what's good about the LJ that you don't get much of with blogger: a community that supports you or gives you feedback when you want to unload about issues such as those which we have all been through at one time or another. I'm just lucky that I have the long-time readership that I have now!

Erin I'm glad to see you getting the enjoyment out of walking that I do! I learned a long time ago from a pro trainer that your body yearns for exercise and when you give it what it wants, well yeah, it hurts a bit at first because the muscles aren't used to it, but your body wants it so bad that it rewards you every day in the long run. Plus that endorphin rush can be a real high sometimes. Plus walking is the only time when I can just put by problems and worries away and zone out. It's like meditating, and I love it.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home