Friday, February 10, 2006

Pinker And Prouder Than Previous

Five little things this month that amuse me, abuse me, relax me, and Hermann Maurice Saxe me (okay so that last bit made no sense at all but heck any time I see an opening to find a way to rhyme Hermann Maurice Saxe then you'd best believe I'll jump all over that mother).

The Office (NBC): Nope, it's not the BBC version that I hold so dear. But then again it no longer has to be. The show is really starting to develop its own individuality, largely due to the performances of actors Rainn Wilson and Steve Carell. I would say that their characters could be interpreted as being a little too broad and over-the-top, but I personally know and have worked with too many people just like both of them to make that assessment.

"Shipbuilding" - Robert Wyatt (7-day M4a file): I think I might actually enjoy Wyatt's version of this song over Elvis Costello's. Something about his falsetto makes it more strangely plaintive and ethereal, when all I hear from Costello's voice are perceived undertones of slight sarcasm. This song makes me think of the first time I ever rode the Chunnel coming into London from Paris with visions of hollowed-out factories and dilapidated smokestacks dotting the gray landscape rolling past my window, and I tried to imagine what this place must have looked like during the Falklands War.

Clinique Superdefense Triple Action Moisturizer SPF 25 (Normal to Oily Skin): One of the few indulgent cosmetic luxury items I allow myself. This gunk feels abso-freakin' marvelous on my skin. Lighter than air, keeps the zits away, and my face feels as soft as a baby's ass. Of course now that I just typed this out Joe is bound to read it and start playfully slapping my cheeks and calling me Baby Ass Face. Like he's ever needed an excuse before.

Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson: British journalist Jon Ronson tags along with several noted (and not so notable) socio-religious activists and conspiracy theorists from all over Europe and the United States, most often resulting in humorous situations. Lots of focus on the famed Bilderberg Group, along with interviews with the surviving Weaver family from Ruby Ridge, the bumbling Islamic militant Omar Bakri Mohammed, and David Icke, the former BBC-TV sports announcer who preaches his theory that an alien reptilian race has secretly taken over the earth, just to name a few.

Dairy Queen's Caramel MooLattes: Despite the controversial name, a damn fine yummy concoction. And I am not a big fan of DQ or soft-serve ice cream in general. Since I am getting back on track with my diet again I try to limit myself to one of these a week, but with the obvious traces of CRACK COCAINE lining their product and guaranteeing repeat business the body-wracking withdrawals have been forcing me back there twice this week, and this just won't do. I have 25 pounds to lose, people. Send me some words of inspiration. And perhaps a hefty case of buprenorphine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I defintely feel you on the packing. I'm relocating to Denver and want to bring as little with me as possible!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow! You're moving to Denver? Are you going to work for TM out there?

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeed! There's only a couple of us left here now.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home