Sunday, December 10, 2006

High Five!

As it has been nearly half a year or more since I have done another five favorite things that I've been into in recent months I just thought, well it seems that I have you attention for the moment so I may as well bore you to pieces:

1. I'm Alan Partridge Series 1: This six-episode season BBC comedy starring Steve Coogan as a down-on-his-luck socially inept morning radio host has kept me in stitches over the past week just thinking about it. Even passing the DVD on the wall at my store sends me into paroxysms of giggle-fits.

2. The Colbert Report on Comedy Central: I wasn't sure if Stephen Colbert was going to be able to keep up his momentum as a parody of an arrogant self-congratulatory television political commentator for more than a few episodes before he would run out of gas (and ideas). But I guess O'Reilly has lasted doing the same schtick even longer, and his writers are nowhere near as funny as Colbert's have been these days, not to mention Colbert himself. While Jon Stewart seems to continue struggling with whether or not he should or shouldn't take himself too seriously, Colbert jacks it up to the next level of taking one's self too seriously to the apogee of the broadest satire, and that's what makes it work. Somewhere in Budapest there's a bridge with his name on it.

3. "Dirty Business" by Sara Jorge: I first thought this was Kylie Minogue, as it sounds a bit like one of the better dance grooves from off her Fever album from a few years back. I love driving home to this song after work in the evening, with the streetlights and Christmas twinkle whizzing past my car windows. Just wish the heat in my vehicle was working these days.

4. The Unbearable Lightness Of Being by Milan Kundera: Finally getting around to reading some Kundera, as recommended to me by a friend around this time last year. Perfect winter weather literature, especially for the scenes in the book that take place in Soviet occupied Prague. Awful glad I didn't finish watching the movie years ago back when it first came out.

5. Durians: I've never had one, I'm dying to taste one, and my hands are tied as to how to go about getting one. So far two of my local Asian grocery stores don't appear to carry them. My friend Noel who lives in Pennsylvania had to drive down to Baltimore to find some. From the way he talks he makes it sound like eating one was like having the greatest sex under the most foulest of conditions. Somebody please shoot one to me in the mail, I implore you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I just saw on Flickr the other day someone posted Durian popcicles in the "Dont' eat that!" group:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhoran/306668956/in/pool-donteatthat/

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home