Friday, December 08, 2006

Schedule

Sun 10: 1-cl
Tue 12: 2-cl
Wed 13: 9:30-5
Thur 14: 3-cl
Sat 16: 12-8

So. I suppose it's been a spell since I posted anything -- or rather, since I have time to post anything or do anything that involves touching the computer for more than a few minutes at a time. Email has been piling up, and I apologize to anyone whom I haven't gotten back to yet. Work has pretty much made me its seasonal bitch, which I reckon is a good thing considering how much worse I'd thought our holiday sales were going to be with no PS3 or Wii systems, and nothing more to really offer anyone other than our dopey Hall & Oats exclusive Christmas CDs via FYE. Which, by the way, we are probably going to become sometime within early next year. Our trademark purple polos have temporarily become label-less black polos (yes Chris and Erin, no more Barney Brigade!) and our period planners are becoming more and more structured like one with each passing month. But even my days off have been a bit batty, not getting everything done that I wish I could, and only getting one Christmas present bought so far this year (for my brother, because he's by far the easiest to please) and my house is a complete disaster area. I finally have given myself a window of me-space to play catch-up, take a breather, and bang my head over the keyboard furiously for not having anything even remotely thought-provoking to write about. Um, lessee... I'm currently listening to Murdering Hell's Happy Cretins by Zoogz Rift. For some reason this guy can't decide whether or not he wants to be a friend on my myspace page lately. He asks me to friend him. Then defriends me, then asks me to friend two of his myspace pages, then defriends one, then adds me back again... well, I've heard for years that he was the eccentric type. Not like I've had much time to futz around Myspace these days anyway. I have neglected mail to get back to over that way as well.

So what else is new. Oh yeah, yesterday Joe and I went to the Apple service store and had a tech check out our dead iPods, only to confirm to us that, yes, they were both dead. Now I am supposed to have a 4-year warranty on mine but the guy said that he couldn't locate my warranty account information, so I don't know what to do about all that. Joe and I have been discussing maybe going in together on one of those new-fangled 80gb video iPods and sort of share custody of it during the week. At this point all I want is something to do my morning walks with in my ear. Joe is welcome to it for the rest of the day. I pretty much crank iTunes when I'm home anyway, and he has a much longer drive to work every day than I do.

And of course, still watching a lot of movies. Joe's still going through his obsessive film noir phase, while I just struggle to stay awake on the couch no matter what he brings home. I did, however, buy this for myself. Because, well, it had to be had:



The first season BBC series I'm Alan Partridge starring Steve Coogan. I've been hyped up to see this for ages and let me tell you I was not disappointed in the least. Coogan played Partridge, a former TV host turned graveyard shift radio DJ in a small town outside of London, newly divorced and living in a travel tavern on the interstate with a staff that just keeps right on smiling politely no matter how offensive and idiotic he behaves. Partridge is like a cross between Ricky Gervais on The Office and Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm, with a lot of the humor improvised and bringing that similar kind of agonizingly cringeworthy humor that both shows have been known for. Sweet Jesus I don't think I've laughed this hard at something in one long consistent manner for Yod knows how long. A six episode series. Dear God, I hope there's another season.

Bought gobs more stuff this week, taking full advantage of my annual employee Christmas discount.



A new copy of Weather Report Black Market, which Mike suggested I get since the last Weather Report album I bought, Heavy Weather, was also by his recommendation, and close to being 15 years ago, so yeah I was due for another one of their better platters. My German friend Heinz, who is a huge Joe Zawinul fan, sent me an MP3 for "Gibraltar" so I already know one song on this disk I thoroughly dig.



A new used copy of The Fall 458489 A Sides since I don't think I've ever actually owned this on CD or vinyl at any point in my Fall-lovin' lifetime. Had the cassette back in college. And pretty much know all these songs by heart. Still, nice. TA HAVE, see?



Vijaya Anand's Dance Raja Dance: Asia Classics, Vol. 1. Hooray for Bollywood!



Suicide The First Album, the CD of which contains the extra disk Live At CBGB's 1977, as well as the infamous "23 Minutes Over Brussels".



From the lead singer of The Negro Problem, Stew The Naked Dutch Painter. I remember kind of liking what I heard of The Negro Problem, but my friend Kevin really poked at me to get this one, since it was only about three bucks used anyway.



The current Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. Yo Christophah, what's the 411 on this? I KNOW you have it, brothaman.



Kayo Dot Choirs Of The Eye, rock-metal-chamber-music on John Zorn's Tzadik label. Came in used. Looked interesting. Tzadik always brings the curious.



A used copy of McCoy Tyner Trident, with Ron Carter on bass and the late, supremely awesome Elvin Jones on drums. All I know from this is that the opening bassline riff from the track "Impressions" is used in the opening to "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest.

And keeping in the spirit of the season, two Christmas CDs to play me into the 25th of December:



Willie Colón Y Hector LaVoe Asalto Navideño. My boss, who is Puerto Rican, told me about how she grew up in her little corner of the borough in NYC listening to this album on vinyl with her familia and partying with fellow Puerto Rican neighbors out in the streets with this blasting out of every record player from every house on the block. Awesome traditional Puerto Rican salsa Christmas record that we've been blasting at work in between the wretched dreck of Mariah Carey and Celine Dion. Just remastered this summer.

And last but not least:



Because. Well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home