Friday, December 21, 2007

I Wish I Had A Watermelon Tambien

Got my Christmas presents from Joseph this week, which consisted of Angel season four on DVD, and another audio book to The Onion's Our Dumb Century series which we listened to Wednesday night while we fell asleep, which didn't take long for me considering how insane that day was at work. And my Christmas present from my parents arrives early tomorrow morning in the form of a new dishwasher since my old one sorta exploded and shot water all over the kitchen floor. Wow. I think Christmas has pretty much virtually come and gone for me already this year. Now if we could just have this consumer momentum for the rest of the year at my store. I still can't believe my old friend quit Wednesday. I mean I can understand it. I just can't believe it. And he was my "rock", too. Oh well.



Speaking of Christmas at work, I've convinced the staff to let me play the Asalto Navideno album by Willie Colón, which my former Puerto Rican boss introduced to me by playing it in the store every Christmas season because it reminded her of hearing it at Christmas block parties in her childhood neighborhood in Brooklyn. Released in 1970, the video clip above is a 1973 live performance of one of the album tracks "Aire de Navidad" ("Air Of Christmas") with Colón wielding the trombone like a rock star and the resplendent Hector Lavoe on lead vox (right before the drug problems became an obvious pressing issue). They look like they're having hella fun up there. And mad good salsa any day beats the living snot out of another bleak Josh Groban snoozefest. Sweet baby Jesus, that should go without saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home