Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Monsoon Of Perfume


Seeing as how they are famous for generally not making any of their music available to download online, and maybe I was the only nitwit out there that didn't know, but was that new Radiohead In Rainbows album that was available to download online for whatever price you desired meant only to be a temporary thing? Because a few weeks after Joe downloaded it the tracks came up on our iTunes with little exclaimation points next to them, as if they were corrupted files. What the hey-hey? I never even had the chance to hear it, assuming that I would always have it, and I hadn't even burned it to disk, because -- well! I didn't think they be gankin' it away from me again, the rat bastids. Anyways, I got it now, AND a vinyl copy (see above my forehead) which actually came through our non-vinyl havin' lame-ass store. I suppose if they're gonna be a total nellie about me actually downloading the album that they clearly made perfectly downloadable then I reckon Thom York is gonna have kittens if he discovers me posting a temporary song file on my blog to, God forbid, encourage folks to buy the album, which is now in stores. If the Karma Police start banging down my door within seconds of posting this, then I guess we'll have all the answers to every burning question we've ever had. Oh, and I'll be dead, for sure.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place M4a file. available for 7 days.

Buy In Rainbows here.

Oh, and what else did I pick up along the way these past few weeks:

Renegade Space Rock by The Mad Conductor, the latest in ska/hip-hop/dance music endeavors from some kid that, according to Adam from Volume Records, was formerly in a band that sounded nothing like this just a few years ago. He was playing it in the store while Joe and I were shopping around and we both fell for the track "Reactor Number 4" and bought a copy on the spot, since I think the band was actually scheduled to play in the store that afternoon so he had a few on hand. The rest of it sounded okay, but that one song was kickin', and worth the full price.

While I was there, I did manage to pick up this used copy of Dengue Fever's Venus On Earth. Because Cambodia rocks... my flippin' socks, that is!


A nicely rare, out of print used copy of The Ghost Of Cain by New Model Army that came into our store recently, which brings back more memories of what I was listening to in the 80's. Then again every damn band these days sounds exactly like what I was listening to in the 80's. I suppose every high-topped, feathered-hair generation really does get the music that it frickin' deserves.



A used copy of Discipline by King Crimson. Round about when Adrien Belew joined Robert Fripp on guitars and gave it a newer, funkier, slightly new waveier texture. Yeah, again with the 80's music, I know.



And lastely but not leastly a brand spankin' new copy of the long-awaited release of Spider Baby on DVD, which I had to special order just to get into the store. One of my all-time favorite movies, although I dislike this cover, as it makes the film look gorier than it really is -- almost like they are trying to cash in on the Japanese horror wave covers like Audition and Pulse. Not that Audition and Pulse weren't great movies, just... you know. Well, maybe you don't, if you haven't seen it. Just that Spider Baby is more humor than horror, and you'd never get that from the cover, I would surmise. It's wacky, zany good fun, is what it is, and I highly recommend it if you like your horror more like a sitcom directed by Luis Buñuel which, I gotta say, sounds far more intriguing to me than the whole goofy Saw movie scenario. And remember kids, Ralph is allowed to eat anything Ralph catches!

Okay I think I'm officially sick. Joe's been sniffling all week, and now I feel it coming on. A cold I can handle. But please. Sweet Jesus please, no Death Cough this time. You made merry sport of me last year as it was so please give me one break this year. Uck. My throat hurts like the dickens. I'm going to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

Spider Baby! Your good taste just keeps getting better. I'm pretty sure I read in some film rag recently that this is yet another classic that is soon to be remade. Why can't they leave the classics alone...eventually they'll work their way through the whole Jack Hill catalog...we'll have Paris and Lindsey and Brittany as the New Switchblade Sisters...or maybe Beyonce or J. Lo as Foxy Brown or Coffy...somebody stop them!

By the way I see this is a new special edition. I've had I guess the regular edition for a few years...are there good extras on this thing?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love Jack Hill movies -- I would be horrified by a glammed-up "Switchblade Sisters" remake these days. That "Spider Baby" does seem to have some neat looking extras, like I think a commentary and a "revisit" to the scene of the film in some form or fashion. But I actually haven't had the chance to check it out yet but my boyfriend just bought me the new 25th anniversary Young Ones box set that was just re-released with bonus material as an early birthday present, and I just watched that and was sort of disappointed. I plan to post something about it next time.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I just realized something upon seeing the Radiohead album.

When the Hot Topic at Patrick Henry Mall moved into that much smaller store they took out the record section.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home