Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Pepper Stands Alone

It actually isn't often when I am completely unmanned by the onslaught of nostalgia brought on by a song from my past, considering the amount of music I listen to in a single day. I'm often exploring new music, searching out new things, rather than reliving too much of my past. And make no mistake, I love and cherish my musical past. But unless it pops up at random on my iTunes library, I don't often revisit much of what I used to listen to, since I already pretty much know it all by heart. Not to mention always having my finger to the wind in search of the latest musical direction... not like there's much of that going on these days, fer sher.

But this morning, while Joe was burning a copy of the movie Times Square for Mary at work, those distinctive opening keyboard notes to the opening track to "Same Old Scene" by Roxy Music seized me where I sat in the opposite room, here in front of my computer, and I was thrown bodily back into the 1980's again, when I found that soundtrack LP to Times Square at a flea market in Roanoke, VA for a dollar, and the sunshine I can still feel on my face from that summer I played it with a deep religious fevor, several years before I had even seen the movie itself. For a moment, I felt that song lift me and sweep me up off the earth, and for a flickering moment, nothing existed in the here and now. Oh, Brian Ferry. Oh, Robert Stigwood. Oh, two great tastes that taste like metal in my mouth together.

Speaking of Mary, I drew this at work on her brand new Apple graphic tablet:

I kinda have no idea of the symbolism involved with the pepper -- only that the pepper was included as the only piece of clip art found in the graphic pad tool file filled with nothing else but circles, squares, and other basic line shapes. All I know is that I found it hilarious to be there, not to mention spendidly Dadaist in nature. So I placed it in shirtless man's hand, and drew a covetous evil chicken with nefarious designs on the pepper popping up out of the background. Oh, and a happy sun.
Although I think Sheri's first version "Stick Figure With Pepper" is far superior to my creation for its sheer minimalistic poetry of perfection.


Peoples! Send me your pepper pictures! The more the merrier. Show me what can be done with the right amount of skill and talent and artistic dexterity and placement of form. And peppers. It would make me happy.
In other news, I signed up for Netflix this week. Where have I been all this time? Oh, sweet, sweet Battlestar Galacticas. Oh, long, looooong, obscenely expensive Berlin Alexanderplatz. Yr episodes R belong 2 mee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home