Thursday, February 21, 2008

Waking Life


You think I'd let Tuesday come and go without mentioning the release of Lust Lust Lust by The Raveonettes? Long-time readers might recall my summer of '05 love affair with the pseudo-retro duo (and my undoubtably irritating obsession with Sune Rose Wagner - *drooool*) and their strict aesthetic adherence to a certain style on their first two albums (all songs performed in B-flat minor, less than 4 minutes long, all vocals sung simultaneously, no high hat or ride cymbals). In recent years they've let up on some of those commandments from on high, and although I miss the sheer sonic fierceness of such tracks like "Beat City" and "Do You Believe Her?" I'm still pretty smitten with their charming brand of Phil Spector-meets-The-Jesus-&-Mary-Chain, none of which seems to be lost on this new luscious vinyl piece (yes, had to special order the rekkid from work) from what I've heard so far. Give me a few weeks to soak it in, and then I'll really know what to say about it. Joe offered to give me a birthday back rub while we had a listening party for the new album, but as insulin resistant as I was yesterday I would have slept through the entire shebang... much like I did the lunar ecplise. Shucks. Aaaaanyway...

Here's their latest video to "You Want The Candy". Now I gotta go do my tax returns.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you buy the album and the album on CD? Or just the record and buy the album on iTunes?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I bought both. I wanted the vinyl to see if the analog sounded different than the disk. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but maybe tomorrow night.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home