Saturday, February 09, 2008

Wind Power

So yeah, I've been sick. Or more like warding off the Death Cough with every means at my disposal. The cold itself isn't so bad as the fear I have of getting the Cough, and in fact other than the usual fever and sore throat and congestion it's about as pedestrian as colds go. Be that as it may, I've taken the preventative measures that I discussed with my doctor last time, and have bombarded my system with Mucinex twice a day, followed by prescription strength Singulair and two shots of prescription strenght Flonase up each nostril. And twice a day (shudder) I snort warm salt water up my nose in great heaping gulps. Which could not suck more. But! It really does seem to work, and here on my third day of the cold I already feel like I can breathe a thousand times better than yesterday alone. And I've been sleeping a lot. I took two days off from work to stay home and remain in a perpetual Nyquil coma, in hopes that rest, as my doc is quick to remind me, really is the best cure for most common ailments. I admit, I did a bad thing tonight and went for a quick 30-minute walk around the neighborhood with Joe's iPod, which in my state and this chilly weather might open me up to possible bronchitis. But I was going stir crazy in that house and my body was screaming for exercise. I canceled dinner with Al and T-Bag last night and Levi's birthday party at the Tap House tonight just so that I could stay home and battle this thing and avoid becoming Patient Zero to everyone else in my social circle. I guess I'm still going to breakfast with everybody tomorrow. Hopefully by then this will all be on the wane. And better yet, No sign of Death Cough in sight.

I know I'm being a nellie about all this, but people who know me know that, when I get a cold, I get post-nasal drip. And post nasal drip brings on the Death Cough. And after last summer's bout of crippling, chest-burning, bladder-releasing, wrist-slitting painful wracks that I've gotten nearly every year since I was 13 years old to which no doctor can determine the cause, I'm willing to go through any ridiculous lengths to not go there again anytime soon. I spent so much time in bed, gained so much weight, and cried so many days from the relentless agony of the condition -- yeah, yer durn tootin' I'm gonna snort salt water up my nose if it does the trickeroo. And so far, the prognosis looks swell.

Send good vibrations, my friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The saltwater thing ...

Do you do that thing with the nose teapot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

Gary and I found those at Wal Mart when he was here in October. Neti pots have gotten so popular they're at Wal Mart now.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melp, I use a Sinucleanse neti pot frm Walgreens and it has saved my nasal bacon a bunch of times!! It gets allergens out of my head in allergy season and clears all the unspeakable goo out of my head when I get a sinus infection. It is The Best Thing Ever!

I hope you feel better soon!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you both, guys. I'm going to look into that. And I am feeling much better now.

Happy belated b-day, Maggie!!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home