Friday, May 23, 2008

My Sentimental Melody

The Friday Five:

1. What were some of the smells and tastes of your childhood?
For some reason the wood panel walls of my Nana's kitchen back in her house in North Carolina. Had this amazingly distinctive woody tobacco smell when I pressed my little nose against it that I can still pick up here and there when the atmosphere is just right. As far as tastes, uh, I'd have to go with the walls as well.

2. What did you have as a child that you do not think children today have?
An Atari 2600.

3. What elementary grade was your favorite?
I pretty much hated them all, as far as I can remember. School in general was either a whirlwind of merciless bullying or flat-out exclusion, and I dreaded every year that I had to go back. Although I think my 3rd grade year was probably the funniest. Star Wars had just come out, and I just started reading MAD magazine (the Star Wars issue was passed around under our desks during class). We had this brilliant little Asian boy in our class who was the most hilarious kid I had ever met, and to this day I still remember over half the things he did and said that made me laugh out loud in class. And my best friend Sheryl who was the prettiest girl in school was in my class, even though she was in second grade. I remember when the little Asian boy was crying in class one day and the teacher excused him to go to the restroom to dry his eyes, and he walked in on Sheryl with her pants down who broke the class silence with her "AAAHHHGETOUTOFHEREGETOUTOFHEREAHHH-AHHHHHH!" shrieks and he walked back into the class, eyes still red and streaming with tears, but now with a sly, knowing smile on his face and the whole class just roared.

4. What summer do you remember the best as a child?
Probably any summer spent at Hilton Head Island. I remember being fifteen years old and staying there with Sheryl and our other mutual childhood friend Jeanne, and the three of us sneaking out to the condo association swimming pool in the middle of the night while our parents slept. Jeanne had brought her boom box and the cassette to Duran Duran's Rio album and I remember the three of us where enraptured by the hypnotic track "The Chauffeur" (mostly because we thought the video was super funny at the time with the hot topless chicks in lingerie doing a silly dance with their hands). We floated on our backs and listened to that song, and I just stared up into the starlit sky with the swirling silver clouds, and I noticed a lone, perverted old man standing in his condo window watching us with binoculars.

5. What one piece of advice would you give to your younger self, and at what age?
Do not lick my Nana's wood panel walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home