Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hunters And Collectors

Can somebody help me track down a possible vintage Knebworth 1979 t-shirt? It's not any of the ones with Led Zeppelin on the front, or even mention Zeppelin at all. It's red with the word "Knebworth" in black letters beneath what was either a dragon or a lion -- sort of a coat of arms symbol that looked like this, but facing to the right and down on all fours. Might have been a dragon now that I think about it, because my father gave it to me when he came back from Knebworth '79 and I was largely obsessed with dragons at the time. I had that t-shirt with a silver dragon necklace that my father bought for me in Iceland as well. Yeah, pretty sure it's a dragon at this point.

But damn, that was my all-time favorite shirt. I think the last time I ever saw it was sometime in the mid-80's, when I was on the local swim team and I had gone back into the locker room after practice to change clothes. The shirt was sitting like an untidy heap on a bench and I slipped it back on when suddenly I felt this weird pinching sensation on my shoulder, like when a tag scratches you. I looked down the back of my collar and saw a wasp inside my shirt, and I shrieked and tore the shirt off over my head and threw it across the locker room, staring it with wild eyes and panting breath. I'm pretty sure I didn't leave it there, but for some reason that was also the last time I remember seeing that shirt. I wasn't like I was about it leave without something over my torso. Not with these knockers on display. Wasp or no wasp, that was a pretty kick-arse shirt (as they'd say in Jolly Olde).

All my dad has left of his souvenirs of Knebworth '79 were photographs from so far back in the crowd that you could barely see the stage, let alone hear a thing. But he still has a close-up shot of a hippie-girl's crotch with the zipper of her jeans all the way down. Nice, dad. Way to commemorate a seminal moment.

Help, please?

2 Comments:

Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

I have just added Papa Melp to Eric Kroll, Justice Howard and Irving Klaw as my top list of Fetish Photogs! Rock On!

As for the shirt...I'm always checking out shows, auctions and websites with Rock Memorabilia so I'll keep my eyes peeled, but me thinks an original from that show would run at least $200 or so if not alot more. I have a stack of English Music Papers from the time here (Melody Maker, NME, etc) - I'll look through and see if I can find a picture of the shirt in the ad sections and I'll send on over a scan.

By the way - off topic - I appear to be a concert killer of sorts this weekend. Had a show planned last night - Joey Belladonna, ex lead singer of anthrax, was to play club a couple of blocks from my house that's as big as my living room last night. Would have been a fun show and he cancelled yesterday afternoon. Oh well I thought, earlier in the week I won tickets to see Ringo and his all Star Band at Bethel (site of the original woodstock - it's now an amazing beautiful ampitheatre) tonight. I go on ticketmaster to see what time doors open and find the show is cancelled! What The hell?!!?

Well Pearl Jam in Hartford is this Friday...I only hope the curse lifts!

Talk to you soon and I'll check for those Knebworth images this afternoon! Enjoy!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You know you're right, I bet a real vintage Knebworth shirt would be expensive as hell, especially if I just plan on wearing it until it shreds, which is what I do to all my clothing. Maybe a replica would be just as good, if not better. But I'm just not finding that design anywhere! And I know I couldn't have dreamed it (or did I???)

You are an angel for looking for me. Then again you are an angel in so many ways! And I owe you a big email coming this week. I should finally have a momet or two to catch up with ya's the next few days. :)

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home