Monday, June 09, 2008

I'd Really Rather Not Picture Him Dancing Down At The VFW To "I Touch Myself"

Funny how the hottest song in country music right now is a cover of one of the hottest pop songs in 1985. Hardly any customer I've spoken with who is looking for the song has ever heard the Dream Academy's version of "Life In A Northern Town", and since Sugarland's version isn't out in stores yet I always suggest their version to tide them down in the meantime. Most of these customers are either my age or older, so they were around for the original but I guess they either never heard it or don't remember it. I dunno. Maybe it's not all K-Mart Country-fied for them to absorb. Or has that patina of 80's gilt to it that puts people off, so long as it's the right kind of 80's music. Heck, that's another whole blog entry in itself.

It is interesting, however, looking back 20 years ago now and it not seeming that long ago, when back when I was a teenager 20 years ago, of course, seemed like an eternity. I guess not being 20 years old yourself yet gives you that kind of perspective. Last week I had this old man, probably around in his late 70's or 80's, hobble over to me and asked in his creaky voice if we carried "any o' them oldies but goodies." Now usually gentlemen of that greatest generation refer to music from their own youth as "oldies but goodies" and they drop that appellation about every other day to where I typically know where to direct them. But this fellow had other ideas. "I already have this here Adam Ant CD, but I shur cain't fahnd any o' your Divinyls." Holy cats. Is the stuff from my teenager years now considered "oldies but goodies"? How can it be when the rest of today's pop music sounds as if it were lifted straight out of 1983? I'm supposed to be the 80 year old crazy lady thirty years from now, wandering around the with Adam Ant CDs wondering where they keep the rest of the "oldies" in this futuristic Jetsons-era record store yet to be. Wait, what am I saying. There won't be any record stores in the future. Just jack it all into my head Neuromancer-style, which by the way is the next gradual upgrade step at my store's renovation this week. Coming to a local head-shop-cum-discount-vinyl-outlet near you!

A lot going on this week, and I'm sorry correspondence has been scarce. House still not fixed, and I've been a little sickly from the diet change, which is taking longer than it did the last time I want this route. Oh, and my only child boyfriend discovered a half-sister that he never knew he had. I'm overstimulated and just can't stop myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home