Tuesday, June 03, 2008

He's Sweet, I Know...


So I splurged this week, if $9.99 (not including employee discount) could be considered splurging even though my flippin' house isn't fixed yet, and bought This Is Gospel: Swan Silvertones Happy With Jesus Alone which has "If You Believe Your God Is Dead, Try Mine", one of the most freak-nasty funk jams I've heard in a gosh-darn long time ("freak-nasty" being one of the defining sounds of gospel, or so I was taught in Sunday school). Popular in the 40's and 50's, originating in West Virginia before moving to Tennessee, the group was led by the magnificently voiced Claude Jeter, and the way these men's harmonies fell into place was some of the most spellbinding vocals I have ever heard, in this genre or elsewhere.
The rest of the album is straight, lush, gorgeous gospel harmonies, but "If You Believe Your God Is Dead..." just makes me wanna get up out my seat and testify. And it takes a lot to get me out my seat, you mugs.
Enjoy for yourselves...
(m4a file, available for 7 days)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home