Thursday, August 28, 2008

And So It Goes

So. The moment that I have been dreading. The inevitability. And yet, I was not as prepared as I thought I would be.

Basically, I'm being canned.

Today I was told by my general manager and my district manager that my full time position was being made redundant. They offered me a part time position instead. With, they said hopefully, the opportunity to work my way back up to my former manager's position again, when one becomes available.

I told them I needed a day to think about it. My manager told me I could take a 15 minute break to collect myself. No, he said generously, take a nice long 30 minute break instead.

I promptly went home and called out for the rest of the evening.

And I did see this coming. And it's been the primary reason why I have been fretting so much about work over the last few months. With new management changes, new store changes... and then I learned that my friend Tony over at the Norfolk store, who has been working in record stores for as long as I have, was also offered a part time position after they terminated his manager's position. Same thing with this girl named Noel, who has been working for the company for 14 years. Both stormed out, furious, but returned a day later to accept the part time position, with pay cut, because they couldn't afford to lose their jobs.

And the truly funny thing about my situation is that they kindly offered to not give me a pay cut. Why? Because they haven't given me a raise in three years, and I still make barely more than I made when I first started there. The company currently hires newbies for more than what I get now as a manager after 4 years on the job.

And although I knew this was coming, dear God, it still hurts. It hurts how hard I bled for that company, for no money, for so few perks, coming in sick so that the skeleton-crew staff wouldn't be in the weeds, busting my butt while everybody else was taking their umpteenth cigarette break. And the district manager told me that they just did an employee evaluation on me this week, and I got a rave review (which I get every single time anyway) "and that means you are so close to getting that desired full time managers position, if one ever becomes available!" Yes, one's available right now as a matter of fact, because apparently I no longer have it anymore.

God, I loved this job.

I'm sorry, folks. I guess I need a moment to myself for a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home