Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Crazy Notion I Just Had

I can't say that I have ever had either the instinct or the desire to have children, and considering that it's expected that I don't ovulate I suppose it's been a blessing in a sense. But as I was sitting here watching The Wizard Of Oz on TBS, like I find myself doing around every Thanksgiving season since I was a little girl, I found myself sad that I might likely never had a child of my own to watch this with for the first time. To be as amazed and awestruck as I was every single time, my parents holding me during the witch's most frightening scenes, or laughing until I nearly peed over every munchkin voice. To be as wowed by the change from sepia to color when Dorothy lands in Oz. Then again, are modern children even impressed by such sights anymore? Would I find myself more disappointed that my child would find The Wizard Of Oz a thundering bore, and want to go play the Wii instead? Not like I own a Wii anyway. Or the fact that we'd more than likely own the DVD to the movie (which of course I do, being that The Wizard Of Oz is Joe's all-time favorite movie) and that they would just as likely be saturated by the experience as opposed to my brother and me waiting every year to see it, like The Peanuts, the Rankin/Bass, and all the other perennial holiday specials with which we grew up looking forward to see. Are kids still bowled over by The Wizard Of Oz, when Disney pumps out another straight-to-DVD "classic" every other month? Or do kids just not put too much thought into that, having never known any other way. I suspect I fuss over such issues more than any child ever would.

At least I still have my son Tyler. He never gets tired of The Wizard Of Oz. Although, like his father, he's also just as equally enchanted by the magic that is Bachelor Party.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psst! Your email ain't acceptin' ma emails!! How we gonna con-ver-sate??

Lloydie x

5:27 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I think I got it now, toots. I had waaay too many emails in my box, I think.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home