Monday, December 15, 2008

Emphasis Mine

Kindertrauma posted my trauma! Although nobody has yet weighed in on what movie they think it might be, the week is still young. And so was I, once. ONCE!

Several years ago there was this mysterious video feed that would pop up on some cable network channel (TBS? Something like that) promptly at 4pm, and last for about four hours where their regularly scheduled programming would continue as if uninterrupted. I don't remember any call letters or station identification during those hours so I can't remember the name of the program or if anyone else other than locally received its signal, but it used to show some of the most bizarre and, dare I say, fascinating music videos to equally fascinating songs that I had never heard of from bands that often I was never familiar with, and even though they rotated the same twenty-five or so music videos over and over every day I still watched enraptured at the shoddily-made creations for often truly terrible songs, which made it all the more entrancing. Reminded me a lot of the early days of MTV, back in the summer of 1983 when the same few mysterious videos would parade past and I'd stay glued to the set, wondering what the heck I'd possible see next. Does anybody remember this? Like, around the early to mid part of the decade? I'm searching for old videos that I might have taped, or that might be floating on youtube just on the memory of what I'd seen, and here's two that I've traced down so far:



Joe and I would laugh our asses off every time this Betty Blowtorch video would crank, likening them to a distaff Spinal Tap in their sheer awfulness. Little did I realize at the time that the band consisted of former L7 Jennifer Finch and the late Bianca Butthole from Butt Trumpet. Still don't know if they are a complete put-on or not but either way, I'm utterly endeared to it now.



And this one from something called the Gerbil Liberation Front pretty much defies explanation. But I went through a phase of singing this song nearly every day, demanding new and daunting challenges of meriones mastication with "Bring it on!" every chance I got. Um, still get.

We also have a song and accompanying video about sending Chuck Berry into space, but Joe's youtube account was deleted and he hasn't put it back on yet. But I'll be sure to post it when he does because, well... Chuck Berry. In space. I meant it's not Roy Orbison in Cling-Film, but there's something out there for everybody. That's why I love this great land of ours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home