Tuesday, March 24, 2009

And The Hits Keep Comin'...

The guy with all the rare CDs hasn't been in our store in a record two days straight. Which I guess leads me to believe that he ran out of CDs to sell, perhaps -- although he did hint at several rooms full of DVDs that he wanted to get rid of (holy moley...). But it's still a trip seeing not only what comes in, and what once was, but what our company is pricing for it. Any body remember these?


Quite a lot of Richard Thompson solo albums, two or three of which are being sold around this price or more. But I've never been a huge Richard Thompson follower, although I do like some Fairport Convention (which we also received, some of which is slightly less pricey than the Thompson solo work).


And I love me some Damned albums! I actually might have this one myself, but I lost track of my Damned shit some time I guess in the early 90's when I bought a vinyl copy of The Light At The End Of The Tunnel, a greatest hits package of British singles that I don't think is in print anymore or perhaps only an import these days. I guess the price on this one is hardly a surprise anymore, since all of the Damned discography have been rereleased with extra tracks that make them retail for close to this number. But this is an origina-tah... probably the first time it ever came out on CD. And I'd buy it too! If, again, I probably didn't already have it somewhere.


But I gotta admit it's crackin' me up that a solo album by Walter Egan is going for so much these days! I'm sure he'd be tickled pink to know that. Of course it is the album with his best known 1978 hit single "Magnet And Steel" on it, so I guess I can understand the original album nostalgia appeal.


But now here is what gets my personal nostalgia caboose... Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper CDs going for lofty out-of-print prices! Man, these guys bring back memories. I first saw him do bumper segments on MTV back in the 80's, the irony being that he was probably invited to do so after his single "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin" -- a love song to then-MTV VJ Martha Quinn who told him that his music was too "nasty" to play on her channel -- got a lot of underground recognition to some degree. It was certainly the first song I had ever heard from him when I was in my freshman year of college back in 1987, when I first met Joe and he made me a mix tape with that on there. My friend Rachel used to see Mojo Nixon playing on the street corners of Hollywood Boulevard when she would visit L.A. And here he is, out of print, and hardly anybody remembers him anymore. But damn, you have no idea how tempted I am. I actually don't know if I own any of their albums on CD. Christ! Now I'm freaking out! I can't let these get away from me, can I? Well, according to my budget... er, it's either this or the used Square Pegs DVD that just came in. Gahhhh...



Forget your Cyndi Laupers and your Duran Durans. Few things said "The 80's" to me like Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper songs (well, except for maybe Square Pegs). Here's a video to their early classic "Burn Down The Malls", kind of an anthem for myself and my college buddies at the time. Who knew, right?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who declares the prices on that rare stuff? Is it a computer database? Or do yall have like, an expert, or?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I actually don't know. I think somebody in the company sets the prices, but I don't know how they determine how much the rare stuff is worth. My company does have an eBay store, so I'm guessing they go by the prices there. If these exprensive CDs don't get sold soon they will be recalled and sent to our online used store, where they know they'll make more money off of them.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home