Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cet Obscur Objet du Désir

Possibly two full days of no stomach pain here. Had a huge dinner at Tripp's with my family in celebration of birthday last month, and everything from fish to (cooked) veggies to ice cream cake after left me feeling happily, painfully full as opposed to crampy, and this can only be a good thing. I'm still not going to cancel my colonoscopy, however. I figure it's best to know than to not know, and hitting forty means I gotta get used to doing more old people junk like this. With a tube goin' up and one goin' down, one girl at work tells me she keeps picturing me starring in some kind of twisted tentacle hentai anime. A shame nobody will be there to film it happening.

Every day this past week a guy, whom I am assuming was a former DJ by the notes left in his CD cases and the colored dots on the spines, comes into my stores and drops off at least three huge plastic tubs of old CDs to sell for cash, many of which are imports as well as being very rare and out of print. I've been drooling over them daily, silently freaking out at what he has as well as surprised by what actually came out on CD once, probably years ago, and never resurfaced again. Two of which brought back some serious 1980's nostalgia as well as the hilarity that once was the remarkable 1985 trend of artists united for whatever cause of the moment. Like so...

Actually I can't knock a guy(s) for doing something socially conscious, if not a tad quixotic, even if it probably brought more attention to the act rather than the cause. I can't honestly say in hindsight how much USA For Africa's We Are The World (OOP, selling used for $39.99) helped the starving people in Ethiopia in 1985. But damn, weren't that a pip seeing Dan Aykroyd singing like a buttoned-down Blues Brother with the likes of Lionel Richie and a still normal-looking Michael Jackson? And how everybody used to make fun of Bruce Springsteen's overly-earnest solo part, and how I was still jonesin' for Journey (though not as much as I used to in the early 80's) and would lick the screen every time Steve Perry popped on (what a revoltin' development!). And oh, LaToya Jackson. You were sooooo celebrity crazy back before celebrity crazy was cool. Relive the magic, my friends!



It was also that same year that musician/actor "Little Steven" Van Zandt compiled his Artists United Against Apartheid to release Sun City (OOP, selling used for $59.99) to raise American consciousness about the racial situation in South Africa from the 1940's up through the early 90's. I always found this to be a far superior song than the schmaltzy "We Are The World" and it used to actually give me chills every time this video would come up on the MTV rotation in 1985. Plus it was more fun trying to pick out the faces, from Lou Reed to Afrika Bambaataa, David Ruffin to Joey Ramone. And how weird is that seeing Darryl Hannah dueting with Jackson Browne? Of course they were famously dating at the time, but just... Darryl Hannah. Singing. The project, I think, was less about charity and more about protest, which I think made the song ultimately more vital in some sense. It was a spirit-raising fist in the air sort of thing. And yes, Springsteen brings the angst again in his delivery. Ahhh, the eighties.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, Oates is the screen cap for We are the world.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oats is also in the Sun City video!

9:59 PM  
Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

What about Band Aid - the one that started it all - UK STYLE! A little trivia (which I actually have used in my DJ trivia nights of a couple of years ago) - the only participant to sing his name as part of the lyrics? "....the Bitter STING of tears"...and Bono singing "and tonight thank god it's them instead of you" blows away Bruce with meaningfully angstsy voice!

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home