Sunday, March 29, 2009

No More Jungle Gym?

Let The Wrong Subtitles in to LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.

It really cheeses me off that I missed out on the original subtitles to this movie when it ran in theaters (which it did here for only one weekend, when I was out of town), which according to the screen caps posted in this link, really created a much more nuanced and textured experience than the dumbed down version for the DVD.

Even stranger, the English dubbed version gets the original dialogue right. Eli mentions living "Here, in the jungle gym" in the brief English version that I watched, where she just says "I live here." in the subtitled version. But I couldn't bear the subbed version for very long, since the dubbing sounded pretty distractingly dreadful. Grrr. I hate it when they pull shit like this.Funny, though. I still really enjoyed the movie, and like it more and more as the days pass. I just wish I could have loved it the way its original fans had the chance to, with its original textured dialogue intact.


Original subtitles for the Morse Code scene:


Dumbed down subtitles for the DVD:


Um... whuhh?
I hear that the screener copies have the original subtitles on them. I wonder how I can get my mitts on one.
There's also talk about rereleasing the DVD with the proper titles, though doubtful that anybody will get a refund for the copy they already bought. Whew. Thank Yod for Netflix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home