Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Human Being Lawnmower

There was a flyer on the Heritage community bulletin board this morning about what looks to be a raw food community picnic down at the oceanfront on the 16th (or I think it was the 16th, because I can't seem to google any information about this online), and I was kind of rather intrigued about attending. But it states to bring a "prepared raw vegan dish" enough to serve 6-7 people, and although I was entertaining some ideas about this fruit salad of mangoes, bananas, blueberries and pomegranate seeds that I think is delicious, a part of me is wondering what they really mean by "prepared raw" dishes. Knowing absolutely no one in the local raw food community, am I up against a gaggle of high-raw gourmets who know how to mold a gelatinous mass of pureed hemp seeds into meatloaf and Sloppy Joe's? Would a so-called "prepared dish" of me hauling a trunk full of watermelons to a picnic be looked down upon by dyed-in-the-wool raw types who spent hours slapping together some kind of fancy-schmancy eggplant pizza? Eghads, am I actually questioning the validity of bringing watermelons to a... a picnic?

I think this somewhat address an issue about raw food that I want to make clear to those who think that they could never do it because they are both intimidated and quite frankly grossed out by the idea of eating a cold, raw millet "cheeseburger". Because quite frankly, I'd be grossed out, too.

I was watching an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern one night, where Zimmern was invited to a California home to eat specially prepared raw cuisine, including raw "hamburgers" made of pureed vegetable matter, and durian "milkshakes". And this man, who we have all seen devour the likes of pickled pig 'nads with a feverish relish, cringed in disgust at the raw "hamburger", despite it being made with all familiar, everyday ingredients that even he has probably used in cooked recipes at home. And why? Because as he said before he had even taken his first bite, he loves a good, real beef hamburger anytime he can get it. So he was already setting himself up for a thunderous disappointment. As I would imagine.

And I would be, too, because I love a great real beef burger myself as well. And I love steak and pizza with cheese and tacos with beef or chicken or fish -- and when I crave those things, nothing short of the real thing will satisfy me. But raw food "cookbooks" and raw restaurants try to sell the concept of eating fresh raw fruit and vegetables to the SAD masses by trying to coax these recipes into recognizable junk foods like hamburgers and pizza, when they aren't anywhere close to tricking anyone into thinking their version is just as good or better than the original. And therefore turning people off to the idea by proving what they already believe: That raw food makes for a boring meal.

But the thing is, you don't need to squeeze a ball of tahini into the shape of a hot dog. You don't need to pay some waiter at a raw food restaurant to open a papaya for you at your table. Once you have trained your tastebuds off the SAD addictions, the simple joys of a banana or a crunchy green bell pepper take on a nuanced texture that is perfect in its simplicity. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a steak or a burger now and then. But if you want a steak, get yourself a great (preferably) organic choice cut of beef and grill it yourself. But when it comes to raw, savor the juice of a pineapple as you bite into its fleshy fruit. Or the cool crisp crunch of raw almond butter spread over a celery stick. When it comes to raw, I'm of the belief that simple is better. And once you get hooked, you will know exactly why.

Just got back from the pool. Wow, that was marvelous. I didn't get to swim at all last summer, but it's reassuring that I can still freestyle across the 25 meter long pool without getting winded. Of course 25 meters isn't very long, but considering how out of shape I am I'm pretty darn pleased with myself. I gotta work off my "SAD" lunch, even though I didn't get in much exercising since all Joe and I did was goof off and pitch the ball back and forth to each other a bit. Joe's been sick so I don't want to overexert him. But it's a pleasure to see him eating more fruits and veggies and temporarily trading in his Mountain Dew for bottled water this week while he recuperates.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

You would be amazed how excited people get when people bring simple things to a potluck, like the watermelon. I think you should bring it.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home