Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Last Assembly



It seems a bit odd to make a musical like this, but then again, the Kinks were apparently "writing full-tilt rock operas" when Schoolboys in Disgrace came out in 1975. The Kinks are an English rock band probably best known for their songs "You Really Got Me" and "Sunny Afternoon." The album actually has a story to it, about a "naughty little schoolboy" and his gang that always played tricks on the teachers. When he gets "into very serious trouble with a naughty schoolgirl," the Headmaster decides to disgrace the naughty boy and his gang in front of the whole school, causing him to turn into "a hard and bitter character" afterward.

***

When I saw Bobcat in a comedy club in Austin back in February he was discussing his latest directorial outing World's Greatest Dad and I admit I was slightly hesitant (I don't know why, because I always liked Shakes The Clown), but I am hearing really good pre-buzz about that movie from people whose opinions I often mirror -- plus I love Goldthwait, and as evidenced by the Dead Kennedys reference he made on stage (that the audience didn't seem to get) he appears to be a musical kindred spirit as well. And The Kinks are one of my favorite bands of all time. If this has already been greenlit, you better believe I'll be first in line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home