Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ramblin' Gal

Taken a bit of a hard fall off the diet wagon this last week and a half, not sticking to my regime. It's much harder when Joe is here -- he's been home sick a lot this week and we both don't exactly work well together when it comes to keeping each other on track. And I've eaten out a lot this week which definitely doesn't help.

I am, however, more and more inclined to buy a bicycle. Not that I have the money anytime soon to invest in something sturdy and high quality, but I think the extra exercise would do me some good.

Then again if I had the money I'd seriously invest in some kind of 3-month fitness camp. Someplace far away from temptation, with other like-minded compatriots. I want to go someplace and work and sweat and eat fruits and vegetables and "feel the burn". Too many distractions at home, too many hurdles to leap over just to get through the day feeling triumphant. God, how I would love to just be far away right now.

Bicycle. Must. Get.

4 Comments:

Blogger James said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg9YX2RuVxc

I have one of these. Bought it a year ago but couldn't get it to work. Reminds me that I should try again. Problem is that I don't know anyone else who has one, so I'm not sure if the problem is that I don't have the muscle to make it work, or if there's a problem with the trikke itself.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Interesting. Is it like a Segway version of a bike? I've never seen one before. So it just didn't move at all when you tried it? Does it work on inertia?

12:17 AM  
Blogger James said...

No, it's sort of like a razor scooter with two platforms and a complex joint to hook it all together. It's kind of like skiing or rollerblading: you lean and push off with one foot, then you roll the other way and push with the other foot, so you kind of swish back and forth. You don't go in a straight line, you carve out an S.

For me the problem is that I can't keep going. I can push off, and I can go on a downhill slope, but I can't keep going on level ground. I'm not sure if I'm just too heavy and the brakes are dragging against the tires, or I just don't yet have the leg muscles to do it, or if I'm simply not doing it right. But it bugs me that I watch people on YouTube doing it, people as out of shape as I am, and they aren't struggling.

It looks like a lot of fun.

10:08 PM  
Blogger James said...

That might be my project this weekend: tie the brakes up so that they can't drag against the wheels, and see if I can keep some headway.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home