Thursday, February 23, 2006

Free Money

Welp, after wrestling with Verizon this morning trying to get my home phone re-connected again since I was initially under the impression that we would be having a new house by today, I was ready for a serious breather. In a mood for instant consumerist gratification I headed on down to Border's Books with my birthday gift card right as they were opening the doors for business and picked up a couple o' frivolous diversions. One of which is the DVD to Stroszek...


And ex-con turned street musician named Bruno, his prostitute girlfriend Eva, and his eccentric elderly neighbor attempt to leave their poverty-stricken lives in the Berlin ghetto behind them and shack up in a trailer in rural Wisconsin because, well as you know, things are better in America. Wackiness apparently ensues. Rumor has it that Joy Division's Ian Curtis was watching this movie right before he hung himself, so whoo-hoo, ringing endorsement! But seeing as how I've been on this decade-long Herzog kick and this three year long house-buying endeavor has been an almost Fitzcarraldo-like Herculean task I might actually find something to relate to in Bruno's adventure. If not something to make me wanna also hang myself in the kitchen while listening to Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life". At this point that ridiculously overexposed Carnival Cruise anthem alone might to the job for me.


I also picked up a paperback of The Human Stain by Philip Roth. Because I've been really getting into his work this year, and he reminds me of the friend who got me into him and how much I really miss him right now. Reading Roth makes me feel a little closer to him, smiling over all the little lines and passages that I imagine he'd might get a rise out of as well. What a tremendous influence his exquisite tastes and recommendations have been on me over the past few months. By the way, has anyone ever seen the movie version of this? We have like a bazillion used copies of the DVD at my work for under $10, but I wanted to read the book first before I thought about checking it out.

So today was meant to be my closing day. Instead it will be the day where Joe and I run all over town putting out proverbial fires at the mortgage agency and who knows what else in order to expedite this process as fast as is superhumanly possible.

And it's so cold and rainy outside. I wish I could just go for a very, very long walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home