Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Breakfast On Pluto

I said I'd do it yesterday, and by crikey I did; my whole damn hold bin came home with me after all. Please join me in welcoming the newest additions to my craptastic family 'o crap that I still don't have any room for despite my big honkin' new house:

Let's meet our first used CD! :::"Spanish Flea" plays:::



Ghostface Killah, Fishscale is his latest release which features guests like Raekwon, Capadonna, and current R&B crooner Ne-Yo, among others. Only heard snips of this on the LVS at work as well as having "Back Like That" played in regular rotation in the store and I'm really liking what I hear. Some righteous funk potential in these beat snips. And the line "Rippin' out your guts like a hysterectomy" definitely needs to be crocheted on my next tea cozy.


I know it's been out forever now (and in my mindset these days a year IS forever) but I've been waiting for a used copy of Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall to float in, and then thank Tracy profusely for pouncing on it as soon as she saw it and stashed it for me. This of course is the long-lost 1957 benefit concert recording discovered in an unmarked box in the Library of Congress last year, and since Monk and Coltrane supposedly never recorded a live album together (I think they did do one or two studio tracks with each other) this got bumped to the top of nearly every jazz hound's wish list in 2005. And boy, looking at the promo poster for this benefit gig (performances by Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, Ray Charles, and Chet Baker with the Zoot Sims Quartet) I think we need to go digging around in those unmarked boxes again and find this whole gosh-darn show!

Now on to the used DVDs. Got the first season of Wonder Showzen...


I don't get MTV2 so I've never actually seen this program, but damn if I haven't been reading enough about it as of late. A twisted parody of Sesame Street with puppets interacting with live children, ripping both into the current sorry state of children's programming as well as satirizing what we today are really teaching our kids out there. In between the "educational" matter are other strange skits and amazingly Dadaist moments (I hear the Easter eggs on this disk are full of them) and funny interactions with children doing their own live reporting on the streets. I think I may have bought this alone for the article I read in a recent EW about a little boy dressed as Hitler interviewing a man in a cowboy hat and asking "Whose hat is more repressive? Yours or mine?" Only a child could get away with asking something like that these days (or, er, can they?).


Next up I nabbed Crazy Love, the 1987 cult classic based on two of Charles Bukowski's short stories, and like many of Bukowski's work more than just a little autobiographical. Also the debut film of Everybody's Famous director Dominique Deruddere, this film apparently just sorta came and went during it's initial release, even though filmmakers like Francis Ford Coppola, actor Sean Penn, and pop singer Madonna have been talking about this film for years and trying to stir up more mainstream buzz. Though I suppose like everything else about Bukowski subject matter such as this will never catch on with the unwashed masses, although personally it's those very unwashed masses I think it should relate to. Since when did Bukowski get co-oped by the intellectually pretentious gallery-opening cheese-eating types? Would somebody like Bukowski even be invited to their Hamptons home soiree in his own honor? Okay I'm veering off track here... what else did I get again.... shitshitshit...


Ah yes, Satan Was A Lady. Hells yeah. Doris Wishman. Double H-E-double-hockey-sticks yeah. Not much else to say about that, except that the girl in this movie is bound to have some pretty impressive ta-tas. Such is the standard that the formidable Ms. Wishman meets, and oftentimes exceeds.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder Showzen is fun. I especially like how they get kids to say the most bizarre, desperate, depressing things while just smiling along obliviously. (Or are they oblivious? I always wonder if they realize how fucked up it is what they are saying...) Anyway, I wanted to post a link here, but it's not working. Perhaps you've all ready seen it, but I thought of you. It's a poster from Virgin Digital, and it's supposed to represent more than 70 bands. I'm sure there is an answer key online somewhere. You can see it at www.virgindigital.com and click the "exercise your music muscle" button then click view the poster, and then I think you can click further to see it at the resolution of your choice.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the answer key, roll your mouse over it for the answers...sorry if you've all ready seen this. I guess they must all be Virgin's bands, too...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65741850@N00/66722414

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, the link got chopped, sorry for spamming your comments section. Here's the rest of the link, starting with the "@" part:

@N00/66722414

9:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow! No way! Gosh, I can't believe how bad I am at this. Er... okay, from what I can tell, this is what I've come up with so far:

Eagles
Pet Shop Boyz
Zombies
Gorillaz
Jets? (the 80's teen pop group or "Jet" the 00's neo-garage act?)
Whitesnake
Smashing Pumpkins
Guns n Roses
Rolling Stones
Lemonheads
Pixies
Postal Service
Radiohead
Scissor Sisters
Yellowman (?)
Matchbox Twenty
Eels
Dead Kennedys
Seal
Alice In Chains
Spoon
Television(?)
Black Crowes
U2
Black Flag
Cars Queen
Sex Pistols
Dinosaur Jr.
Cowboy Junkies
Blind Melon
Police(?)
50 Cent
Iron Maiden
Cake
Scorpions(?)

Ahhh, is that guy in the red supposed to be "Prince"?

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, you're good! You're on a roll, they all sound about right to me...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

I put in a request when I volunteered for the library for that Coltraine CD to be put in circulation along with some other top sellers off of amazon.com. I don't know if they ever ordered it though.

I saw about 2 minutes of Wonder Shozen on Comedy Central when I recorded an ep of South Park at 2 a.m. I guess CC has the rights to show it early early early in the mornings or something. It was funny for the 2 minutes my VCR recorded of it though.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home