Friday, September 22, 2006

Food Of The Clods

The Friday Five:

1. Given a choice, and imagining that money and time were no object, would you rather cook dinner, eat out or order in?
Usually it depends, but most often I do enjoy going out somewhere for dinner, and it doesn't matter where so much as the company I'm keeping. I love getting together with friends, whether it's fine dining or Dennys at 2 in the morning -- I just love the the restaurant as a venue for socialization. Sure, we can always order in and do the same thing, but more often than not there are distractions at home, like some people watching the TV, some people tearing each other up on the Playstation, etc. In a restaurant you are set in a position to interface with each other, and I kinda like that. Especially with Joe, because for as often as we see each other we rarely get a venue to where we can sit facing each other and talk about things we both enjoy but oddly enough don't often get to discuss in everyday conversation, just because of all the distractions of home.

2. What is the most elaborate meal you've ever prepared yourself or purchased at a restaurant?
Any meal I cook for myself is freakin' elaborate, seeing as how I can't cook for squat. I wish I did know how to cook more, though. I enjoy it, but I just never have time to do it. At a restaurant? I don't think I've ever gone for anything just based on its inherent elaborateness. Although I love to experiment, mostly I tend to like things relatively simple in nature, but prepared with a touch of artistry. And that goes for the time I ate boiled snails on the side of a road in Casablanca, Morocco. Simple. But damn, that was some rockin' good boilin'.

3. What food do you find yourself making and/or eating way too much?
I go through phases all the time. This summer it was the fruit-and-sushi obsession, which has suddenly, mercifully died off (as of today, bleaach). Since most of what I eat involves being in a box labeled either Smart One or Lean Cuisine, I've sort of learned to make do with what limited options are available by that route. Those Lean Cuisine flat crust Brick Over Style pizzas aren't too bad, and by not too bad I mean it beats a mouthful of dirt.

4. What was your most disastrous cooking/eating out experience?
I don't think I've ever had a truly disastrous eating out experience, but I do remember the time I nearly set the dormitory on fire trying to bake a frozen pizza in the oven. Man, all that black smoke. And, nerd that I am, I remember Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove album playing in the kitchen while it was happening.

5. Would you rather cook for someone else or have them cook for you?
If I had the know-how, I'd cook for you. Unless you don't actually mind a dinner comprised of boiled eggs and rice pilaf. And I can bake a mean Tollhouse from scratch for dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home