Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Now I Know Where Vance Hangs His Canons

Another discovery for fans of The Cold (well, me that is). This Video Google link is an hour's worth of concert footage that was shown on New Orleans local WGNO-TV channel's program Homegrown back in 1981, with the band at the height of their popularity. Spliced with the live music are clips of random comedy bits involving the band. Early in the program, right after the song "Hot Ride", there's a few second-long clip of Kevin Radecker talking about Vance's former career as co-creator of "The Mr. Bill Show" on SNL (this is true) and a streetwalking Evangelical preacher (somehow I doubt it). Midway through, right after their cover of The Beatles "Love Me Do", the band participates in a satirical To Tell The Truth game show where Vance affects his best "pirate" accent. Immediately after the show as the credits roll Vance, doing a rather bang-up job impersonating Rod Serling, gets a little unsolicited help from the rest of the band.

Anita, remember that concert footage? Damn if I didn't spend all of 2002 watching the complete 2 1/2 hour tape of this over and over. I don't think Joe wants to hear "She Was Born To Drive Me Crazy" played in this house ever again. Probably because it will force him to sing along with it, as is what normally happens. Gotta admit, it's damn infectious.

3 Comments:

Blogger x said...

Huh, I had no idea about the Mr. Bill Show. Groovy.

Oh, and I think I found Joe's costume for Hallowe'en: ?

12:36 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah, Vance played Mr. Hands in the first season's worth of episodes. And apparently designed Mr. Bill's head. He doesn't own any rights to it anymore, though.

Ha! Joe's just as likely to wear that costume just lounging around the house. Which, by the way, would be awesome.

New updates on the store: You know that purple maze that you have to walk through to get to the register? As of yesterday -- gone. It has been replaced by the latest in people herding technology: The roped-off area. Yeah I know, WTF?

7:28 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

I ran across my concert footage this past spring when I was doing some old tape days.

Man, I need to watch these videos one day while I'm at school. Just hide in the corner of the computer lab and watch them.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home