Friday, December 22, 2006

I'm Never Leaving The House Again

What is it with today? Today, of all days, that has made it a muthah of a madhouse out there on the streets? Nearly 45 minutes sitting in traffic to get to my store when it would normally take 15. Had to park in the back of the building because the parking lot was jammed, at noon on a Friday. Walked next door to Barnes & Noble because my mother wants a copy of Michael Isikoff's Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War for Christmas and the line for the cash registers was backed up almost all the way back to the children's book area, which is basically the back of the store. Poor Nicky up at the front behind the registers in her festive reindeer antler headband shot me a look of what-fresh-hell-is-this and I felt instantly sorry for her. No matter how busy it gets in my own store, I will never regret working the floor as opposed to manning the cash registers. Times like these are when my extensive knowledge of useless music trivia pays off. Hmph. Some payoff.

Attempted to make a trek to Lynnhaven Mall but traffic there was backed up for miles going toward... and miles coming back. If traffic going to the mall was that ugly getting there then I can only image what the parking lot must be like, so I turned the car around and limped back home. I may try B&N later tonight and hopefully things will have calmed a bit by then. But Anita emailed me today and said that traffic was just as bad going to Wal-Mart way out in Franklin today. And I called my father who told me it took him over an hour to get home from work because the interstate was backed up for miles.

So is this all last minute shopping panic? People trying to get the hell out of town for the weekend? A little of Column A and a little of Column B?

I admit, I'm panicking too. Last minute shopping panic, and wishing I could get the hell outta town panic.

Erinita, honey. I'm guessing you didn't get your flight out of Denver the other day. Let me know if you make it into town. Drop by and see me at the store this weekend. You know me. I'll be there. I'm always there.

Anybody else going out of town? Hitting stores at the last minute? AM I THE ONLY LOSER OUTTA ALL YOU MUGS??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home