Monday, December 11, 2006

Rock Hard In A (Un)Funky Place

Just got back from the dentist, who installed a temporary crown on one of my uppers this morning. Still a bit numb. Wasn't it last year around this time I had a similar procedure done? And didn't that hurt like the dickens afterward? Err, best not to think too much about it for now...

In other news, Prince will be performing at the Superbowl halftime next month. Finally, a reason not to change the channel over to the Beer Bowl this season.

In work news, good people -- please don't come into the store the day Il Divo performs on The Today Show and be shocked that we would be sold out of their Christmas CD. "I really just don't understand how so many people would have heard about these fine, talented gentlemen already. I mean, *I* just saw them on Dancing With The Stars for the first time last week! And on The Today Show this morning!" You'd think Today was some obscure NY-based cable access program that comes on at 3 in the morning that only they watch on the couch in their underpants the way they express wide-eyed shock when they discover that maybe others might have been tuning in across America at -- gasp! -- the same time. Why do they think so many retards stand out in front of that back window to get their faces on TV? (I can say this because I myself was once one of those retards standing in front of that very same window and waving frantically at the back of Matt Lauer's lumpy shaven head a few years ago).

I do, however, take great pleasure in helping people find what they've been searching forever on their own, just by extending what little knowledge I have on the subject. Especially if it's something, y'know, good. I had this woman the other day who was looking for a copy of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love, which isn't on any of her albums as far as we could see. But seeing how it was Darlene Love I deducted that it was probably on Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift For You CD and, sure enough, it was. And we only had one copy left. The woman, who told me that she had been searching for that song for eight straight Christmases in a row and it took me minutes to determine where it was, screamed and cried and hugged me fiercely and told me that I just made her holiday. I gotta tell ya, nothing I could possibly receive from anyone wrapped in ribbons and bows can compare to the feeling of what I was able to give to someone else, somebody I didn't even know and probably may never see again. Moments like these really make me love, love, love my freakin' job.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Do you think you could help me find "Christmas Bop" by Marc Bolan and T Rex on a Christmas compilation, so I don't have to buy a whole T Rex album I don't want to get this little gem?

BTW: A lot of us have been buying Il Divo CD's for a year now. It's great to see that the U.S. is starting to catch up with the U.K. and Europe in appreciating these guys.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hmm, that may be a little harder endeavor than the more accesible Darlene Love to track down. On a quick search just now all allmusic.com I didn't see it on any other compilation availble by means of their resources. And it doesn't look to be on iTunes either.

But I'll keep looking, and I guess I'll post about it here if I do find one. Or if you want give me your email address and I'll write you with an update (I'm not certain who this is or if we have ever met before, but there was no signature to the post).

11:17 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Il Divo is on Young and the Restless like six times a year or something. It's annoying. Victor's always hiring them for something!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home