Monday, September 08, 2008

Legs To Make Us Longer

Color me going to New York City in October. It's been in the works for weeks to go see a show up there and hang out for one night with a friend of mine, but I was working on the funds and then after losing my full time job, well, I was really worried that the plans might all fall through after all. But I decided to say screw it. Buy the tickets now, before my money situation gets any worse, use up the one vacation day my job is allowing me to have this year before I move on to something permanent, and just enjoy myself. I've been wanting to see this band ever since I first heard of them, back around when I was thirteen or fourteen and saw their videos on MTV. And later, when I began purchasing their albums and films.

And the band?


I mean, what else needs to be said?

I shall write more about The Residents later, when I don't have a million little errands to run this morning. But for now here is the very first time that I ever heard or saw of the group, back around the pre-Michael Jackson & Madonna summer of 1983 or so when MTV was desperate for anything to add to their rotation. Their minimalist (even more so than the original!) rendition of a James Brown classic...



Gotta go to the bank, buy some salads for dinner, and go print out my plane ticket confirmation. Hey, I'm EXCITED! And I'm kinda liking this feeling.

2 Comments:

Blogger maggie said...

w00t!!!

Very, very, very cool, Melp!!

Glad to see some good news for you!

11:15 PM  
Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

Wow! I just watched that video and listened to that song. I had never heard/seen it before, but it doesn't stop my want of seeing the eyeball boys a month from now...and with the Melparino?!?!

Holy Shit kids...does life get better?

I had MTV from the get go. I remember flipping through the channels one day on my old school connected with a 20 foot cable channel changer. I had 12 buttons and a switch on the side with 3 settings so it equalled 36 channels.

If memory serves me correct...MTV one day appeared on channel 24. Memory definitely serves me correct in seeing my first music video - Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" which was the classic song filmed at a theme park (Coney Island?) with an Uncle Fester-ish looking fella riding in the front seat of a Roller Coaster.

I was hooked.

I watched MTV religiously as a teen, but I never Residents on there.

So when did I learn of them...

I think I had seen pictures of them for years. By the time I actually listened to their music, their image was iconic. I probably first heard them in my Penn and Teller phase.

I'll gladly admit to my nerddom. Let's see...I was officially a member of the Penn and Teller fan club in the late 80's/early 90's.

I received monthly (maybe bi) issues of MOFO KNOWS the penn and teller newsletter (I've since sold most/all of them off on ebay for nice $$$!).

Shit...I remember logging on to the MOFO KNOWS BBS! That's pre-world wide web kids. I used to do it from my job at the local Church Rectory that somehow my evil heavy metal loving ass had in my teen years in the 80's.

But what does this have to do with The Residents?

Well Mr. Penn Jillette was at least a semi member of the band for a time.

I think my first introduction was when I got a bootleg tape of Ralph Records (the Residents label) 10th anniversary radio show.

The gist of it was they Locked PEnn in a room for a long weekend and each day delivered him a package of Ralph Records albums.

Penn HATED the music of the Residents, Snakefinger, etc on the first day...but by the end of the weekened he was hooked...and so was I!

Penn toured with the boys at least once on the Mole tour as the narrator as I have a bootleg of that show as well.

I still love P&T and I thank them for turning me on to some good music.

I was fully stoked when I saw the boys were coming back to NY next month and picked up a pair of tix.

I knew I could find someone to go...but in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine someone as cool as our melpster joining me.

I can't wait! A Month Away. The Melpy one! One a fun time it will be!

Rock on all...and go check out "Bunny Boy" the webshow which the Residents are scoring and touring for.
-P.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home