Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hell's Half Acre

I need to get back on track with my diet. The past week has been a disaster, as well as the week before that. It's not that I've "blown it", per se. I'm still eating primarily raw in the mornings and afternoons. I just cave in at night and eat garbage when I get home from work, starved and too tired to prepare anything. And what's worse, I'm not even enjoying eating garbage. I get no pleasure in pizza these days, and the last time I had a burger I felt as if my heart were about to burst out of my chest in an attempt to evacuate my toxic body. Ice cream sickens me with its sweetness, although I'm still a sucker for parmesan cheese on my whole wheat pasta.

And as anyone who has tried to make a change in their diet, you know how much the world is against everything you do. Saboteurs are everyplace. People at work bring donuts and harass you into taking one. Parents invite you for dinner and fill your plate with fats and sugars. Boyfriends want to go out to excellent restaurants and deep down you want it just as badly too. The only way I can do this without distractions is to hole myself up in a hotel room for the next year and cut myself off from society, but of course that's not an option, and shouldn't be, for anybody. I have always noticed that healthy people only seem to associate themselves with other healthy people, and maybe that's precisely why. But I'm not about to give up the friends and family that I have. God bless Joe and Mike and my dad and the people I work with; I love them all -- and I'd rather not cut them out them out of my life just so that I can eat a damn salads for dinner every night.

But tomorrow is another day, and all that. Watermelon for breakfast, and maybe an iced coffee with soy milk and stevia on the way to work. Salad for lunch. Bananas for snack. Whole wheat pasta with tomatoes and basil for dinner. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. That can't be too bad now, can it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

You just have watermelon for breakfast? Don't you get hungry afterward since its so watery?

11:52 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Actually not really, or not really anymore. I usually have about half a melon, which is a lot of fruit, even if it's mostly water. Fruit in the mornings is one of the best ways to give you energy throughout the first half of the day, because it's a good kind of sugar that reacts like a time-release in your body, giving you short spurts of enery in the mornings, unlike refined sugar that spikes hard and drops even harder.

And if I do get hungry again later in the morning before lunch, I'll have a banana. I'm telling ya right now, there is NO better energy bar in the world than just a plain banana.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home