Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Kickin' Chickens On The 6 O'Clock News

I just remembered another item that I wanted to add to the ongoing "wish list".

Actually I have posted about this before in ye olde bloge, but it bears repeating -- I would like to find a copy of he song "If Eggs Had Legs" by Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan, originally found on the album Two Sides of Jack & Misty. I am mostly trying to hunt down that one song, but I'll settle for the entire album if I can get it.

Back around 1987 (or 88?) there was the tiny little country radio station out in the boonies of Rocky Mount, VA that let me go digging around in their basement where they kept huge stacks of promo records that they were never going to play on the air. Found the little 45 single to this song, a wacky little novelty country ditty that I used to put on everybody's mix tapes back in the day. Silly lyrics that always brought a smile to my puss, and the little "quack" part of the song would near have me rolling with fits of hilarity:

If eggs had legs and long hair to their knees
They'd run through the flowers shinny up trees
When they tiptoe to the city better lock all the locks
They'd drink up our wine and take our dirty socks
If eggs had legs they'd steal a football shoes
You can see 'em kickin' chickens on a six o'clock news
Well they don't give a (quack) they got nothin' to lose
They're on the way to Tennessee that's why I got the blues

[ guitar ]

If eggs had legs and long hair to their knees
You could hear 'em bite their toenails up in the trees
Drinkin' our wine gettin' stoned as an ox staggerin' around in our dirty socks
Little hairy legs in socks and football shoes
You could see 'em kickin' chickens on a six o'clock news
Well they don't give a (quack) they got nothin' to lose
They're on the way to Tennessee that's why I got the blues
They're on the way to Tennessee that's why I got the blues
They're on the way to Tennessee that's why I got the blues


Was this a poke at the "hippie movement" of the day? (the song came out in 1972) It's almost 18 years later since finding this single and I'm still trying to figure out what these lyrics mean.

But the single has since disappeared. Gone into that netherworld where a chief portion of my old singles seemed to have followed one another. The rest of the singles are sitting in a box in the hallway closet. I can hear them snickering at me when I pass. They ain't tellin''.

If anyone just has the song I'd appreciate it. Although at this point I've grown increasingly curious as to what the rest of the album might sound like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Wow, that album cover deserves a nomoniation for the worst album covers of all times list.

It still doesn't beat out Orleans or Millie Jackson though.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home