Monday, February 27, 2006

The Saddest Music In The World

Son of the meme... the first 20 tracks off my iPod shuffle this morning:

1. Never Mind The Why And Wherefore (H.M.S. Pinafore) - D'oyly Carte Opera Company
2. Untitled Song For Latin America - The Minutemen
3. Uneventful Past Finally Catches Up To A Boring Man - Onion Radio News
4. Chain Gang Of Love - The Raveonettes
5. Paper Bag - Fiona Apple
6. I Know - Fiona Apple
7. Grow Fins - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
8. We're Coming Out - The Replacements
9. Cuckoo In The Wood - Minna Reverelli
10. Glad All Over - The Cold
11. Rockin' The Joint - Esquerita
12. Chalte Chalte - Lata Mangeshkar
13. Worried Mind - Ray Charles
14. Toadies - The Minutemen
15. She Came Burning - Korekyojin
16. Girl U Want - Devo
17. I'm Going To Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) - The Cold
18. Ghetto Of The Mind - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
19. Rock 'n Roll High School - Ramones
20. Staring At The Rude Boys - The Ruts

You know, I admit I've never been drunk, although I've had a tipsy little buzz here and there in the past. And other than dropping acid once and smoking pot twice I've never really experimented with recreational drugs either. I've tinkered with the Eastern ways of meditation and yoga, as well as the more western practice of professional psychiatry and psychoanalysis. And yet nothing I've tried, positively nothing, has come even close to both cleansing and altering my mind and body as one as effectively as going for long walks or runs with my blessed iPod on shuffle select (with 3159 songs and climbing). During that hour or two that I am alone with my music nothing else exists in the universe but myself... and the way I was. I don't know if that makes any sense, but how can I explain? It's like the clutter of my life evaporates. And not all bad clutter, in fact much of it is baggage that's just as good if not wonderful, like my family and friends and boyfriend and the positive influences in my life. But in a way it's like a ritual shedding, a peeling away of all that is pushing and pulling me from the outside leaving nothing but the initial basic prototype of myself in all my unpainted primer gray glory. It really is the most intensely solipsistic experience that I've ever known, and believe you me I am one to know how to live in an island amongst herself. But at the same time it's a good way to reground myself, to sort of bring myself back to the beginning of time and remember what it was that drew me into music in the first place, and what kind of relationship I have with it today as an adult with a different perspective on life than I had when I was 12, or 20, or 30 years old.

In order for it to continue being an important part of my life, I need to redefine where it belongs in it again. Things are going to be changing soon. Big projects are in the works after I move. Big music-related projects. Too early to discuss yet, though. But I will keep you informed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duuuuuuddddddeeeee! (I don't know why i say that)

1) Congrats to you and the DJ on the House, at least your money goes into something that's yours forever and ever, amen.

2) Happy Birthday, don't care how old you are, you still act like you're sixteen (go you).

3) Why haven't you returned any of my phone messeges? Sheesh.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Smartypants... I act like I'm TWELVE! NYAAAHHH!

Oh, and thank you, my dear. :-D

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I know this is not the correct way to do this, but I read this blog because I'm trying to track down a particular track "Minna Reverelli - Cuckoo in the Wood" which you mentioned is on your MP3 player. could you please contact me if you still have this track..Thx.. :)

4:50 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Uncle Fester,

Do you have an email address where I can write you? There doesn't appear to be any contact information on your blog, nor any posts for me to leave comment to you.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, sorry, am still new to blogging. You can contact me at unclefester550@aol.com... :)

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home