Monday, July 31, 2006

Live Your Daydreams Out Loud

I was rooting through boxes of used CDs at my store this week and I stumbled across a $1.99 copy of Spool Forka Dish, the second album by quirky Minneapolis pop-rock group The Blue Up? which was produced by original Prince & the Revolution drummer Bobby Z. in 1995. Predominantly the brainchild of lead singer/guitarist Rachael, aligned with bassist Carolyn Rush and drummer Renee Bracchi, this cassette didn't leave my player for nearly a month back when I first received it in the mail that year, and once I got the CD a few months later I still couldn't bring myself to remove it, to part with those loopy grooves and Rachael's compellingly child-like voice. Joe booked them at Mango Tango's years ago but I was away at a family funeral, and I think he told me how he talked to them briefly about how they knew Prince, with Joe being a ginormous Prince fan and all.

The Blue Up? (m4a files)
"Shine"
"Breathe You Out"
"Sugar And Gold"

Available for 7 days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved these guys!!

REV 105 in the Twin Cities used to play "Breathe You Out" all the time. LOVE IT!!

Thanks for the reminder, Melp!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

They are swell, aren't they? Still holds up, too. I think I managed to turn a girl on at work by getting her to buy the used copy we already had.

Good to hear from you, gal!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home