Sunday, July 30, 2006

Terror On Two Track

I suppose when most folks think of hip-hop from the early 90's names like Ice T., Ice Cube, Public Enemy and Wu-Tang Clan may pop instantly to mind. But me, I'll always have Paris. Specifically his 1990 debut album The Devil Made Me Do It, a tense, political, and exhaustively humorless album if there ever was one. And yet this erudite, angry young man's voice, the low baleful growl of a panther being pushed into a corner, rests on a bed of infectiously funky grooves wound as tight as a string around your finger, digging in almost painfully under the flesh. The title track brings back memories of that album's debut year when Joe was DJing at the old Friar Tuck's down by the ODU campus, when he'd toss that track in between Black Flag and Metallica sets and it never once felt out of place. Although Paris' subsequent albums lacked the fire and funk of his debut, this record remains a classic to my ears and based on this work alone one of my favorite rap artists of all time.

Paris (M4a files)
"The Devil Made Me Do It"
"The Hate That Hate Made"
"Break The Grip Of Shame"

Available for 7 days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lou came across a so-called evil/satan liking rapper from the 80's or 90's and I can't remember who it was. Does this ring a bell at all?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

A Satanic rapper? Gosh, I can't think of who that could be, but it sounds hilarious! Ask Lou for his name and I'll try and look him up. I'm a sucker for novelty acts!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home