Friday, July 28, 2006

Say My Name, Bitch

The Friday Five:

1. Are you named after anyone? If so, explain.
No, not that's I'm aware of. My parents had been arguing over naming me either Amy or Leslie for months before I was born, and then finally the first time they held me they both said "Melissa" at the same time and looked at each other with astonishment. So the name stuck. My mom said that there weren't too many girls named Melissa back in 1969 anyway. Apparently it's also Greek for "honey bee".

2. Do you have your children's names picked out already? If so, is there any significance?
Well, I consider Tyler my son, and he's named after a friend of Joe's and mine from college who on the last day we ever saw him told us that if we ever got married and had a kid to remember to name it after him. Our son Tyler does sort of remind me of his original namesake a bit, except my son's much shorter, considerably grumpier, and doesn't constantly quote The Princess Bride every chance he gets.

3. If you were born a member of the opposite sex what would your name have been?
My folks had already picked out the name Michael for me if I turned out to be a boy. They can't tell me that there weren't any Michael's back in 1969.

4. If you could re-name yourself what name would you pick and why?
Howard. I dunno. I like it. I like it as a girl's name, too. Then I heard that Anne Rice was originally named Howard when she was born and that made me feel like some lame pretentious gothchick so now I'm leaning more towards Lady Ethel Adelle Nighshade Blacklily-Crowley.

5. Are there any mispronunciations/typos that people do w/ your name constantly?
I sure do get called Michelle an awful lot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I've never met an "Anita" who is around my age. They're all like 15 + years older than me. I used to hate my name, but I like it now since there aren't many Anita's anymore.

If I ever had kids (or got dogs and cats) I'd give them names that fell out of favor in the 50's.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The only other Anita I think I ever knew was this black girl who was a student in the Norfolk polica academy. She used to hang out in the clubs with me and she dated a skinhead friend of mine too. Yep, a black girl and a skinhead. Funny how it didn't last.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home